"ADD TO YOUR FAITH"
The Christian Graces
2 Peter 1:5-11 "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and had forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure; for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall"
A. Peter in this passage reminds us we must grow in our service to God.
B. Eight areas for growth listed here.
C. In this lesson we will look at faith
I. What Is faith?
A. Webster defines as (pg. 418)
1. 2a1) belief and trust in and loyalty to God
2b1) firm belief in something for which there is no proof
2b2) complete trust
3) something that is believed esp. with strong conviction
2. believe, trust
3. BDB/Thayer pistis - faith 239, assurance 1, believe + 1537 1, belief 1, them that believe 1, fidelity 1; 244 - conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
B. Bible defines as 1. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1
a. Sub - under; Stance - stand foundation
b. That which stands under or supports
c. Evidence - proof which leads to conviction
3. "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6
C. A practical definition would be
1. That which supports our understanding of God and His Will
2. Complete confidence in what God says
D. Faith is a work Jhn 6:29
II. Why do we need faith?
A. In our relationship with God
1. Can't please God without it Heb 11:6
2. Belief is proof that we have heeded the Word Rom 10:17
3. We serve God by faith Rom 14:23
B. In our own lives it is necessary for salvation
1. Believe and baptized Mk 16:16
2. Philippian Jailer Acts 16:30-31
3. Preaching saves them that believe 1Cor 1:21
4. Brings boldness in approaching God Heb 4:16; 10:22
C. In our relationship with our brethren
1. Will cause us to help strengthen our brethren Jhn 4:29
2. We walk by faith 2Cor 5:7
D. In our relationship with alien sinners
1. To realize our conditions in this life Gal 2:20
2. Faith helps us overcome the world 1Jhn 5:4
3. Shows them the way Mt 15:27
III. How do we get or develop faith?
A. By hearing God's Word
1. Rom 10:14-17
2. Purpose of signs Jhn 20:30-31
1. Samaritans heard then believed Jhn 4:42
2. Jews, Greeks heard then believed Acts 14:1
3. Corinthians heard then believed Acts 18:8
C. Without the teaching of the Word there is NO faith
1. Can you have faith if you do not study?
2. Can you have faith if you do not regularly attend services?
IV. What is the result of strengthening our faith?
A. In the physical realm
1. Can overcome obstacles Phil 4:13
2. Brings patience Jas 1:3
3. Have confidence in physical needs Mt 6:33; Rom 8:35
B. In the spiritual realm
1. Keep us from sin 2Tim 4:18
2. Gives confidence in eternal reward 2Tim 1:12; 1Pet 1:7
C. In our dealing with others
1. Our faith can encourage others 2Thes 1:3-5
2. Shows others the way of Christ 1Tim 1:16
A. What about you?
B. How strong is your faith?
C. What changes do you need to make now to begin growing as you should?
D. Invitation to the lost.
This outline by Daniel Henderson of Jasper, Texas
Go to first characteristic: Virtue
Return to Sermon Outlines
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /