City, State, Zip)
(KING JAMES VERSION
USED IN PREPARING THESE LESSONS)
LESSON THREE – “THE AUTHORITY OF CHRIST”
With deep respect for the Word of
God, and understanding the difference between the Old and New Testaments, we
turn now to an important principle -- AUTHORITY. The need for authority is seen
in every realm -- home, school, government. The spiritual realm certainly is
no exception, for "it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps"
(Jeremiah 10:23). To whom then do we look for authority? Christ said in Matthew
28:18, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” It is
the desire of Almighty God that His Son, Jesus Christ, be heard as the final
authority in all religious matters.
READ MATTHEW 17:1-5, AND FILL IN THE BLANKS:
1. "There appeared unto them __________________ and ___________________ talking with Him.”
2. Peter said to the Lord Jesus, “Let us make here ___________________ tabernacles; one for ____________ , and one for _________________ , and one for __________________ .”
3. Peter showed by his statement that he considered Moses (who represented the Old Testament Law), and Elijah (who represented the Old Testament Prophets), as being equally authoritative with Christ; but God corrected the FALSE idea by saying, "This is my beloved _____________ , in whom I am well pleased: _______________ ye ____________."
EPHESIANS 4:5, "One _______________ , one faith, one baptism,” (Thus there is ONE Ruler or Sovereign, Who is the ONLY source of authority in religion!)
READ JOHN 12:49-50, AND CIRCLE TRUE OR FALSE:
True / False 1. Everything Jesus Christ said originated with Himself.
True / False 2. God gave the Word that His Son should say and that He should speak.
True / False 3. Christ said, "even as the Father allows me to change His Word, so I speak.”
THE AUTHORITY OF CHRIST REVEALED THROUGH THE APOSTLES
1. John 20:21, "________ my ___________________ hath sent me, even so _____________ I you.”
2. Matthew 18:18, "Whatsoever ______ shall _____________ on earth shall be _______________ in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall ________________ on earth shall be ____________________ in heaven.” (The apostles’ word IS THE WORD OF GOD! See 1 Thessalonians 2:13.)
3. The apostles were guided by the "______________________ of truth.” (John 16:13)
4. John 18:37, "Everyone that is of the ____________________ heareth my _________________.” (His is the Voice of Truth and Authority -- LET US HEAR HIM!)
MULTIPLE CHOICE (Underline The Correct Answer):
1. The New Testament was revealed: (a) Through Moses; (b) Through some church council;
(c) through the apostles of Christ.
2. Our authority in religion must be: (a) The Word of Christ; (b) Creeds of man-made religions; (c) Each person's own opinions and desires.
3. As authority, we are to hear: (a) The traditions of men; (b) Christ; (c) Our parents' religion.
4. When there is a conflict, we must accept: (a) The opinion of the majority of all the people; (b) that which seems good to us; (c) that which God has revealed through Christ.
-- IN THE NAME (BY THE AUTHORITY) OF CHRIST--
1. Colossians 3:17, "Whatsoever ye _______ in _____________ or _____________ , do _________ in the __________________ of the __________________ Jesus . . . "
2. Luke 24:47, "And that ______________________________ and___________________________ of ______________ should be preached ________ His ______________ .”
3. Acts 2:38, "Then Peter ______________ unto them, ____________________ and be baptized _________________ one of you ________ the ______________ of Jesus ____________________ for the ___________________________ of ______________ . . . “
-- CONSIDER THE COMING JUDGMENT --
1. Christ has the authority to "_________________ THE WORLD in righteousness.” (Acts17:31)
2. YOU AND I WILL BE THERE! – 2 Corinthians 5:10, "For _______ must all _______________ before the ________________________ seat of __________________ . . . “
3. We will respect His authority THEN – Romans 14:11, “Every ____________shall __________ to me, and every ___________________ shall confess to ____________ ."
4. Should we respect His authority NOW? (Please answer YES or NO _________ )
-- THERE IS AN URGENCY ABOUT THE MATTER --
1. Does Christ have ABSOLUTE authority? – Matthew 28:18. Check –- YES ( ) NO ( )
2. Acts 3:22-23, "For ________________ truly said unto the fatthers, A ______________________ shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, _______________ unto me; ___________ shall ye ______________ in ___________ things whatsoever He shall ___________ unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul which will not _______________ that _______________________ , shall be ___________________________ from among the people.”
3. It is imperative that we HEAR AND OBEY CHRIST: Then, as Christians, that we teach and
practice ONLY that which can be found in His Holy Word – 1 Peter 4:11, "If any man ____________________ , let him ___________________ as the _____________________ of God.”
4. Is it safe to accept as TRUTH any religious doctrine which differs from the New Testament? Check --- YES ( ) NO ( ) (If YES, please explain briefly below.)
(Hope you are profiting!! Lesson Four will be "THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CHURCH") Return the lesson in the enclosed envelope along with any questions you might have.
Return to the index page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /