BELIEVING LIES AND BEING LOST.
2 Thes. 2:1-12.
1. The explanation of the reason for a sending of workings of error is found in vss. 7-10 of our text. See also Isa. 66:3,4.
2. We are all sorely irritated when someone says to us "YOU ARE A LIAR!"
3. But many times when we want to continue a practice that is contrary to Bible teaching, we say: "Well, the Bible doesn't condemn it." "It doesn't say 'don't do it."
4. And many times when we don't want to do what the Bible says, we find religious teachers that teach what we want to hear and sooth ourselves with his lies. 2 Tim. 4:1-4.
5. And those that would teach us the truth, become our enemies. Gal. 4:16.
6. The word "lie" in our text, indicates False practices in religion. Perversion of religious truth.
I. A LIE STARTED ALL THE SORROW AND GRIEF IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN.
A. Read: - Gen. 3:1-5.
B. Satan is the father of all lies and all liars. Jno. 8:44,45.
C. Notice the end for liars. Rev. 21:8,27. And also notice the company that liars keep.
II. SOME INSTANCES AND EXAMPLES OF LYING.
A. Satan to Eve in the Garden of Eden. Gen. 3:4,5.
B. Cain in denying knowledge of Abel's whereabouts. Gen. 4:8,9.
C. Joseph's brethren in deceiving their father. Gen. 37:20-35.
D. The old prophet of Bethel, who misguided the young prophet from Judah. 1 Kgs. 13.
E. Herod to the wise men in professing a desire to worship Jesus. Matt. 2:8,13,16.
F. The Roman soldiers who said that the disciples stole Jesus' body while they slept. Matt. 28:11-15.
G. The disobedient son who said he would work in the vineyard and did not. Matt. 21:28-31.
H. Ananias and Sapphira, when they claimed to have given all the price of sold possessions to the Lord. Acts 5:1-11.
I. The accusers of Stephen. Acts 6:8-15.
III. RELIGIOUS PEOPLE IN THIS DAY AND TIME TELL LIES AND TEACH FALSE DOCTRINE.
A. Read: -- 2 Tim. 3:13; 1 Jno. 4:1; Prov. 19:27; Isa. 5:20; Jer. 5:30,31.
B. Yes, the people desire lies rather than the truth. 2 Tim. 4:1-4; Jer. 50:6,7.
C. Many times they become angry when you tell them the truth. Gal. 4:16.
IV. THE LORD WARNS AGAINST LIARS AND FALSE TEACHERS.
A. Read: -- Matt. 5:;19; 7:15-23.
V. TO OVERCOME ANY LIES OR FALSE TEACHERS WE MUST HAVE A LOVE FOR THE TRUTH.
A. Read: -- 2 Thes. 2:10; 1 Thes. 5:21,22.
1. Liars and false teachers will always be around, but we do not have to accept them.
2. We can accept the truth, obey the truth, and be saved. Jno. 8:32.
3. Why not turn your back upon liars and false teachers today and accept the truth?
4. You can do this by: HEARING, BELIEVING, REPENTING, CONFESSING, AND BEING BAPTIZED.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /