1. Types of Worship :
a. True or genuine worship .(John 4:21-24).
b. Will worship (Col. 2:23).
c. Vain worship (Matt. 15:9).
d. Ignorant worship (Acts 17:22-23).
2. IS WORSHIP WORSHIP ?
a. IT DEPENDS UPON ONE'S :
I. PURPOSES OF WORSHIP .
A. To glorify , adore and praise God . ( 1 Peter 2:5 ; Heb. 13:15 ; Acts 17:22-25).
1. Emotions must be aroused in the heart .
B. To proclaim Christ (1 Cor. 11:26,29-30).
C. To strength man :
1. For his troubles , problems and sorrows .
2. By drawing near to and communing with the one , true and living God . (Matt. 18:20).
II. PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP .
A. RIGHT with God (1 Tim. 2:8 ; Prov. 28:9 ; John 9:31 ; James 1:27 ; Mk. 16:16 ; Rev. 2:10).
B. RIGHT with fellowman . (Matt. 5:23-24 ; 18:15-17).
1. Two men can not hate each other if both of them love God !
C. RIGHT atmosphere :
1. Quiet (Ps. 46:10).
2. Planned with the assumption that people come to worship (1 Cor. 14:40).
III. PERFORMANCE OF WORSHIP .
A. Directed to God ( Matt. 4:10).
1. Not to idols (Acts 17:29).
2. Not to things of the world . (Col. 3:5).
B. In Spirit :
1. Sincere (Ps. 50:10-16).
2. From the heart , from the inner man , involves meditation (1 Cor. 11:30).
3. Humility , openness before God , reverence (Heb. 12:28 ; Ex. 3:5).
4. Basically - CONTRARY to a cold lifeless formality , that can not be understood by the worshipper ! ie.. mass spoken in a language not understood .
a. The spirit of man is the highest part of man . (Rom. 1:9).
C. In truth :
1. Sing , pray , preach (teach) , commune and contribute . (John 17:17 , Acts 2:42 ; Eph. 5:19).
a. SINGING IS WORSHIP !
1) "Sing them in" is the wrong concept .
2) Singing is not an introduction to worship or a call to worship .
D. By each individual .
1. "Leaders" of worship do not worship for us .
2. If we put something into the service , we get something out of the service .
1. Psalm 122:1 .
2. True worship strengthens and renews our faith , which in turn improves our lives .
3. When we come to the house of worship , let us center our minds on things above .
4. Let us improve our worship so that henceforth our worship will really be worship in the true sense of the word .
5. Are you prepared to worship God ?
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /