MAKING VOID THE CROSS OF CHRIST
1 Cor. 1:17.
1. This morning we talked about surveying the wonderous cross upon which the Prince of Glory died.
A. We looked at the cross from both sides.
2. But tonight, we want to look at it from a different viewpoint.
A. We want to consider how we, as human beings, may make void the cross and all that it stands for.
3. The plan of man's salvation, as it is presented by God to us in His Word, is bound up in the word "Cross". Heb. 9:22.
A. But this plan can only work for those of us who will allow it to do so.
B. If we do not allow it to do so, we are thereby found guilty of making void the cross of Christ.
4. Now, let us take note of how we may make void the cross of Christ in our lives:
I. WE CAN MAKE VOID THE CROSS OF CHRIST BY:
A. Teaching, following, and depending upon the wisdom of men. 1 Cor. 1:18-31; 3: 18-20; :Matt. 15:8,9.
B. Judaism -- confusing the covenants; or the Old and New Testaments. Col. 2:14; Eph. 2:11-18; Matt. 5:17,18.
C. Being outside of covenant relationship with God. Eph. 2:11-22; Col. 1:9-23.
D. Ignoring and repudiating the church of our Lord. Matt. 16:13-18; Acts 2:47; 20: 28; Eph. 5:22-33.
E. Arrogance and pride. Read about the Pharisee and the Publican, Lk. 18:10-14.
1. The cross is the very essence and epitome of abject humility, humbleness. Phil. 2:1-11; Jno. 13:1-20.
F. Refusing to sacrifice or to give until we can feel it. Rom. 12:1,2; Lk. 9:23-25; 2 Cor. 8:1-7; 9:6-15.
G. Division, bickering, and quarreling. 1 Cor. 1:10-17; Eph. 4:1-6.
1. I am sure that we might think of many other things that could make void the cross of Christ, but these will suffice for now.
2. Friend, what about you? As you survey the wonderous cross, that we talked about this morning, are you hindering or making void the cross of Christ?
3. If you are involved in any of the things that we have discussed in this lesson, or any other thing like these, then you are guilty.
4. Note these things just one more time.
5. Why not make the cross valid in your life?
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /