• THINK ON THESE THINGS
• PHILIPPIANS 4:8
• “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things
are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever
things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue,
and if there be any praise, think on these things”.
• WE ARE CONSTANTLY REMINDED BY THE SAVIOR AND APOSTLES TO THINK.
• JESUS: ABOUT A MAN WITH A HUNDRED SHEEP
• (MATTHEW 18:12-14) “what think ye?”
• JESUS: A WOMAN THAT LOST A COIN
• (LUKE 15:8-10 “what think ye?”
• JESUS: (MATTHEW 22:42) Saying, “What think ye of Christ? whose son
is He? They say unto him, The son of David”.
• FOLLOWING JESUS REQUIRES THINKING
• HEBREWS 5: 11-14 “11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard
to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12 For when for the time ye ought
to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles
of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong
meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness:
for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even
those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and
• MATTHEW 5:48
• “48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven
• BEATITUDES, SALT OF THE EARTH, CITY ON A HILL, LIGHT OF THE WORLD, LIGHT
A CANDLE PUT UNDER A BUSHEL ETC….
• (WHY DID JESUS TEACH THESE THINGS AND VERSE 48 AS WELL?)
• Well, let’s find out.
• GUIDANCE IN OUR THINKING
• PETER NEEDED HELP IN HIS THINKING:
• MATTHEW 16:20-21 “20 Then charged He His disciples that they should
tell no man that He was Jesus the Christ. 21 From that time forth began Jesus
to shew unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many
things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised
again the third day”.
• WHAT JESUS TELLS PETER:
• JESUS WAS TEACHING A LESSON OF SERVITUDE; BUT PETER DID NOT WANT JESUS
• MATTHEW 16:23 “23 But He turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind
me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that
be of God, but those that be of men”.
• CORRECTING HIS THINKING, THEN TELLS DISCIPLES TO DENY THEMSELVES (VS.
• HOW DO WE THINK RIGHT?
• UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND I MUST THINK LIKE GOD
• (ISAIAH 55:8-9) “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are
your ways My ways,” says the Lord.9 “For as the heavens are higher
than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your
• HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
• GOD HAS REVEALED IT TO US
• I CORINTHIANS 2:10-11 “10 But God hath revealed them unto us by
his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in
him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God”.
• BUT THERE ARE THINGS OF GOD I JUST DON’T KNOW.
• HOW CAN I KNOW THE THINGS OF GOD?
• I CAN’T KNOW ALL UNLESS GOD REVEALS THOSE THINGS
• DEUTERONOMY 29:29 “The secret things belong unto the Lord our God:
but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever,
that we may do all the words of this law”.
• WE NEED A MENTAL METAMORPHISIS
• MENTAL: FROM THE MIND; OUR THINKING BRAIN FUNCTION
• METAMORPHISIS : A CHANGE; i.e. A WORM TO A BUTTERFLY
• There needs to be a change of heart before we can become what God wants
us to be.
• It all starts with our mental state.
• It needs our willingness to change.
• HOW DO WE CHANGE OURSELVES?
• ROMANS 12:1-2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies
of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto
God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but
be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that
good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God”.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE TRUE
• Truth must always come first in everything we do.
• This is the nature of God and Christ and even the Holy Spirit would come
to reveal all truth.
• The things of God are true.
• If we are going to be children of God, we must also be true.
• “Genuine” is a word that fits here.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE HONEST
• “Honesty is the best policy”
• Who would you do business with?
• If you are honest, you would want those you deal with to be honest also.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE JUST
• Treat others as you would want to be treated.
• Expectation of others obeying the rules.
• Expectation of punishment for those who violate the law.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE PURE
• The church is supposed to be pure,
• So we need to think on ways to keep the church pure.
• That also carries the responsibility to keep anything that defiles out
of the church.
• People also need to be pure in conduct, thought, and spirituality.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE LOVELY
• Beauty in the eye of the beholder is not what this means.
• Watching things take place that God calls good are lovely things.
• Seeing people treat others as God wants them to is a lovely thing to see.
• Seeing someone take a stand for the truth is a lovely thing.
• WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE OF GOOD REPORT
• Reminds us of elder qualifications that they should have a good report.
• Also known as a good reputation.
• 1 Peter 1:15 “be holy in all your behavior”.
• 1 Peter 2:12 “Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles…”
• IF THERE BE ANY VIRTUE
• Virtue: Moral Excellence
• Free from sin or error.
• Having a reputation of moral purity.
• Often ridiculed in our culture, but this is what God wants.
• IF THERE BE ANY PRAISE
• Anything worthy of “Praise”.
• God is to be praised for sure,
• But God also will praise you for your goodness”.
• It is nice to be honored, but we have to earn such honor.
• “Meditate upon these things”
• Fill your mind with these good things and concentrate upon making them
a part of your life.
• Thinking on these things leaves no room for anything else to think about.
• 2 Peter 1:10 “As long as you do these things you will never stumble”.
By Carey Scott from an outline by Burl (?)
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me