• WHAT ABOUT
• Matthew 18:6-9
• “Stumbling” comes from the Greek word "scandalon“.
• It is probably one of the broadest terms in all of Greek language.
• It means: a stumbling block, anything against which one stumbles, an impediment;
a cause of ruin, destruction, misery, a cause or occasion of sinning, scandal,
offense, cause of indignation.
• I’m sure we all remember going barefoot, and stumbling over roots
and rocks when we were young.
• I kept my big toes especially bruised and bleeding and in pain.
• Some falls can seriously injure someone, especially if you are up in age,
some falls have actually been fatal.
• It is a terrible thing to stumble.
• It is also a terrible thing to cause one to stumble.
• What does the LORD think of stumbling?
• Leviticus 19:14: “You shall not curse a deaf man, nor place a stumbling
block before the blind, but you shall revere your God; I am the LORD”.
• Isaiah 57:14: “And it shall be said, build up, build up, prepare
the way. Remove every obstacle out of the way of My people”.
• SOME EXAMPLES OF THOSE THAT STUMBLED
• Eve, Adam, Cain…..
• Actually, everyone who has lived and has sinned before God have stumbled.
• Not only individuals, but nations have sinned as well.
• We should not be so naïve that this country will not be punished
for its sins.
• WHO CAN STUMBLE?
• 1 Corinthians 10:12: “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take
heed lest he fall”.
• Peter said that he would not stumble, but he did.
• He denied Jesus: John 13:36-38; Matthew 26:33-35.
• WHO CAN STUMBLE?
• Galatians 6:1: Brethren, even if a man is caught in any trespass, you
who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking
to yourself, lest you too be tempted”.
• James 5:19,20: My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth, and
one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of
his way will save his soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins”.
• HOW CAN ONE STUMBLE?
• Over silver and gold. Ezekiel 7:19.
• Over idols and iniquity. Ezekiel 14:3-8; Isaiah 59:1-15.
• Over unbelief. John 8:24; Hebrews 12:1; Romans 4:20.
• Over failure to study God's word. Hosea 4:6;
2 Timothy 2:15; 3:16,17; 1 Peter 2:8.
• Over disobedience. Isaiah 1:2-20; 1 Peter 2:8
• WHO CAN MAKE ONE STUMBLE?
• Lawyers. Luke 11:52. (they still get a bad rap)
• Preachers. Matthew 15:14; Malachi 2: 7,8.
• Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:23; Romans 9:32,33.
• Christians. 1 Corinthians 8:9-13.
• Fathers, Mothers, Wives, Children, loved ones. Matthew 10:37.
• HOW CAN THEY CAUSE TO STUMBLE?
• Teaching perverse doctrines. Matthew 15:8,9.
• Deceiving the hearts of the simple. Galatians 1:6-10; Romans 16:18.
• By doing things that are worldly. 2 Peter 2:20-22.
• By failure to bring up children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
• Note: Eli forfeited the priesthood by failing to correct his sons. 1 Samuel
• WHAT WILL BE THE OUTCOME OF THOSE THAT STUMBLE AND THOSE THAT CAUSED THEM
• It would be better to have a millstone about the neck and be cast into
• HOW CAN ONE KEEP FROM STUMBLING?
• Love God's Law. Psalm 119:97-104, 165; 1:1-3.
• Obey God's Law. Matthew 7:24-27.
• By walking in the light. 1 John 1:6,7; John 11:9,10.
• Search the scriptures daily. Acts 17:11.
• Let whatsoever you do be done in faith. Romans 14:23.
• And by the authority of Christ. Colossians 3:17.
• HOW CAN ONE KEEP FROM CAUSING ANOTHER TO STUMBLE?
• Love thy neighbor as thyself. Mark 12:30,31.
• Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Matthew 7:12.
• Love God with all thy heart, strength and mind. Mark 12:30,31.
• Obey the Lord now, and lead others on a strait and narrow way.
• By offending not. Proverbs 18:19; 1 Corinthians 10:23-33; 8:13.
• By being a good example. 1 Timothy 4:12.
• Why should you continue to stumble at the Lord's commands? 1 Peter 2:8.
• You can obey Him today and do away with that stumbling block.
• In your disobedience, you might be a stumbling block to others.
• Do not be a stumbling block and a rock of offence.
By Carey Scott
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me