• Sound Doctrine
• Some Attributes We Should Consider.
• 2 Tim. 4:1-5
• Has "sound doctrine" become irrelevant to modern Christians?
• Doctrinal themes unpopular both in pulpit and classes.
• "Be practical", "Be relevant" is modern cry.
• Even needed subjects on life's problems are not approached from doctrinal
• Sound doctrine is essential to spiritual health.
• Sound means healthy. (HUGIAINO-hygiene).
• Doctrine means that which is taught --From the Scriptures. (2 Tim. 3:16,17).
• Sound doctrine is not a matter of insignificance.
• Important to those who teach and hear.
(I Timothy 4:16).
• Important ingredient in preaching. ("with longsuffering and doctrine.)
• Important to test doctrine for its soundness.
• Sound doctrine has three attributes as described in the text:
• It Is God’s Word
• ”Preach the word" (v. 2).
• The word is powerful.
(Hebrews 4:12; Romans 1:16; Acts 2:37).
• The word is able to save.
• The word is complete.
(2 Timothy 3:16,17; Jude 3; Galatians 1:8,9;
2 Peter 1:3).
• The Word IS PRACTICAL
• "Convince, rebuke, exhort" (v.2)
• It convinces the unconvinced.
• There are people not convinced of their sinful state before God.
• There are people not convinced of one God, Lord, baptism, etc.
• There are people not convinced of need to assemble, worship, work, purity.
• IT REBUKES THE REBELLIOUS.
• There are people who know their sinful state, but are rebellious.
• There are people who know right way, but refuse to conform to it.
• IT EXHORTS THE
DISCOURAGED AND STRIVING.
• The weak and discouraged need encouragement to overcome.
• The faithful striving Christian needs encouragement to keep on.
• IT IS URGENT
• "In season, out of season".
• If brethren do not feed regularly on sound doctrine they will go step
by step into error.
• Soon, they will not endure (hold up--support) sound teaching. (v. 3).
• Next, they will select teachers who teach to suit them. (v. 4).
• Next, they will turn ears from truth -- will not listen any more. (v.
• Next, they will turn to false religions or fables. (v. 4).
• If one does not accept and support sound doctrine NOW -- "time will
• Believe, obey, teach and support sound doctrine while it still appeals
• Teach and support sound doctrine in all forms: reproof, rebuke, exhortation.
• Are you holding to sound doctrine?
By Carey Scott
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me