• The Sin Of Neglect
• We all have to admit that this is one sin we continue doing.
• So what will we do about it?
• In Webster's definition we find this: "To disregard.
• To omit to notice; slight."
• "To be remiss in attending to; fail to do, care for, etc."
• Some of the synonyms of neglect are: omit, disregard, ignore, overlook,
• What is it that is sending most people to hell?
• Is it ignorance?
• Is it prejudice?
• Is it rebellion?
• Is it greed?
• Is it selfishness?
• Certainly we have Biblical prohibitive passages that address each of these.
• Certainly, all of the above are deplorable things in a sense.
• But the thing that is going to cause most of us to come to everlasting
grief in the Day of Judgment is NEGLECT!
• Neglect is a canker; it destroys homes and bridges; ruins farms and health;
breaks up families and eats away love;
• Neglect brings on bankruptcy, and damns man's soul.
• Proverbs 18:9 “He also who is slack in his work is brother to him
• Proverbs 24:30-34 “I passed by the field of the sluggard, and by
the vineyard of the man lacking sense; and behold, it was completely overgrown
with thistles, its surface was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken
down. When I saw, I reflected upon it; I looked, and received instruction. A little
sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, then your poverty
will come as a robber, and your want like an armed man”.
• It appears in the forms of forgetfulness, slothfulness, and procrastination.
• Neglect wrecks trains,
• brings cities down in ashes,
• leaves widows and orphans without provision.
• "Nero fiddled while Rome burned.“
• Too much neglect in our world today.
• So how does this apply to Christians?
• Neglect to act at all.
• "Be ye doers of the word and not hearers only." James 1:22.
• "Being not a forgetful hearer of the word, but a doer." James
• Neglect doing our best--careless.
• God requires us to be all we can be and to do all we can do with diligence
• Jeremiah 48:10“cursed be the one who does the LORD’S work
negligently, and cursed be the one who restrains his sword from blood”
• Our sword is the Word of God. Ephesians 6:17.
• 2 Chronicles 29:11 "My sons, be not negligent; for Jehovah hath chosen
you to stand before Him, to minister unto Him, and that ye should be His ministers,
and burn incense."
• Neglect of worship on Lord's Day.
• Hebrews 10:24-27. “not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together”
• Neglect of talents.
• 1 Timothy 4:11-16; do not neglect the gift within you
• Matthew 25:14-30. The one talent servant had at least one talent the master
saw in him, yet he neglected that one talent he did have.
• Brings about ruin.
• A house that sits for years without habitation.
• A field that is not plowed or tended to.
• A road that is not travelled upon.
• So sometimes doing nothing causes great destruction.
• This is what sinners do.
• You would think that no sane person would purposely want to go to hell,
• But they do not do anything to avoid it.
• Some want to go to heaven but are unprepared because they were negligent.
• Matthew 25:1-13 the five foolish virgins.
• Luke 16:19-31 the rich man who wanted to build bigger barns.
• Acts 26:27-29 Agrippa was “almost persuaded”
• Acts 24:24-25 Felix was waiting for a more convenient season”
• People of today are too busy to mess with religion of any.
• What are the results of neglect?
• When the ant fails to store up sufficient food for winter?
• When the owner fails to insure his house before it burns?
• When the sailor finds all too late that he has no lifeboat?
• When we neglect so great salvation?
• James 4:17 ought to be memorized and heeded every day by every Christian.
• There is just too much that needs to be done that is not getting done.
• We all are guilty to some degree.
• Perhaps we can work together to help each other learn not to neglect our
By Carey Scott from an outline by Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me