SEVEN REASONS PEOPLE DON'T
(Reading: 1 Pet 4:14-19)
1. Our duty to reach the lost (Matt 28:19-20)
2. Much could be said about our effort . . . .
3. Despite our efforts, some do not obey
4. This lesson will explore seven reasons people don't obey God
I. THEY'RE NOT READY
A. There are millions of people who have not obeyed God and that's okay!
B. Babies and children - certain religions would have us believe otherwise
C. No where in scripture do teachers seek to teach babies or children. Why?
D. Why doesn't God require them to obey? They aren't ready! (see Mt 28:believe)
E. In one sense they are not ready, in another sense they are ready
1. They aren't ready to understand about God and their responsibilities to Him
2. They are ready for judgment! (Matt 18:1-3)
F. Gal. 4:4 "fulness of time" for the world and for each of us
G. Concept of readiness - children go through stages of readiness
H. When we are capable of conscious sin, we are ready to learn of and obey God
II. THEY DON'T KNOW THEY NEED TO OBEY, OR HOW TO OBEY
A. Acts 8:26-31 - Ethopian Eunuch in this situation
B. This is a competency issue - such people lack knowledge
C. People may not obey, because they don't know how to obey
1. They lack knowledge of their condition (Rom 3:23)
2. They lack knowledge of the consequences of their sin (Rom 6:23)
3. They lack knowledge of the requirements of salvation
D. It's our duty to tell them!
III. THEY DON'T SEE THE IMPORTANCE
A. Acts 24:22-25
1. Earlier, Paul makes his defense
2. Felix had knowledge of the way (vs. 22)
3. Only saw the importance after Paul spoke with him (vs. 25)
B. Felix became afraid
C. I wish I could get the same reaction from those I teach!
D. Obedience to God the most IMPORTANT thing - bar none!
IV. THEY DON'T SEE THE URGENCY
A. Discuss the difference between urgency and importance
B. Acts 22:16 "And now why tarriest thou?"
1. tarriest from Greek: mello
2. mellow - relaxed, comfortable, complacent
3. Ananias is essentially saying to Paul Don't be mellow! Get on with it! Paul did!
V. THEY'RE AFRAID THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH (WORTHY)
A. Some people feel there are those who are not good enough (Matt 9:10-13)
B. To their credit, these people realize their lack of worth
C. They are humble and contrite - so much so, that they cannot act
D. They're amazed by Christ's sacrifice, afraid they can't live up
E. Get over it! We will never be worthy, we will never be good enough!
1. John realized it! John 1:27 He...who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe latchet I am not worthy to
2. The centurion realized it! Matt. 8:8 Lord, I am not worthy.
F. Recognize this is another weapon of Satan to keep you from obedience!
VI. THEY'RE AFRAID TO COMMIT
A. Acts 25:27-28 - King Agrippa?
B. Afraid of what they might I have to give up: drinking, carousing, fornication, etc.
C. Luke 9:62 No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. If we don't put hand to plow, we are lost!
D. They consider the consequences of their action into the short-term future
E. They should consider the consequences
of their action into the long-term future
VII. THEY DON'T WANT TO OBEY
A. This is NOT a competency issue, but an issue of will
B. They are not willing to obey
C. James 4:17 to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
D. Two Frightening Passages: Prov. 17:11; 2 Thess 1:7-9
F. Those who don't want to obey are in rebellion - they are lost!
Have you obeyed God? Why not?
1. Is It because you aren't ready? (acceptable if a child)
2. Is it because you don't know your need or how to obey?
3. Is it because you don't see the importance of obedience?
4. Is it because you don't see the urgency of obedience?
5. Is it because you're afraid you aren't good enough?
6. Is it because you're afraid to commit to God?
7. Or, is it that you simply don't want to?
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /