Rich Man Learned In Hell!
Intro: Jesus spoke of life, death and eternity! What did the rich man learn?
1. The meaning of eternity. In Matt. 25:46, “everlasting” & “eternal” both translate the exact same Greek word. If the right- eous experience life forever, then we must say that the guilty experience punishment forever.
2. There are no second chances after death (v.22). Death seals our destiny (Heb. 9:27). While I’m alive, I’m not getting ready for death; I’m getting ready for judgment!
3. One cannot leave the torments of Hell for the comfort of Heaven (v.26). The "great gulf" is a definite dividing line; it’s a discernable divider! Once there, you’re there for eternity.
4. The real meaning of pain (v.24). He said, "I am tormented in this flame." Many try to dismiss the pain and punishment of Hell; however, the pain is real and it’s described with the words tormented and flame.
5. The meaning of accountability. Cp. Rom. 14:12. It’s a place of remembrance— there’s no Alzheimer’s in hell. A full & complete realization of the current condi- tions & a clear remembrance of one’s life.
6. The meaning of Hell (v.23). Cp. Rev. 20:15; 21:9. If we could see sin as God sees it, we would understand why a place called Hell exists!
7. The meaning of Evangelism (v.27). He learned the value of a soul, but it was too late. He wanted his family warned, preached to, told about this awful place. Cp. Vs.29-31.
8. It was too late to pray (v.24). He said, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me...I pray thee." Prayer is a wonderful thing. Pray while there is still time!
9. God meant what He said.
God will punish the unbeliever & unfaithful (2 Thess. 1:7-9).
10. Death is not the end. The soul goes on living even though the body dies; it is eter- nal! David said, "your heart [soul] shall live forever" (Ps. 22:26).
Conclusion: Do not wait until judgment to learn these valuable lessons. Your soul is too important and eternity is too long to "gain the whole world and lose your soul" (Mark 8:36)
By Unknown Author
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /