RESCUE THE PERISHING
Jude 22,23; Jer. 8:20-22; Isa. 6:8
1. Jude says: "And on some have mercy, who are in doubt; and some save, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."
2. Jeremiah says: "The harvest is past, The summer is ended, And we are not saved!"
A. He goes on to say: "For the hurt of the daughter of my people I am hurt. I am mourning; Astonishment has taken hold of me. Is there no balm in Gilead, Is there no physician there? Why then is there no recovery For the health of the daughter of my people?"
3. Isaiah says: "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: 'Whom shall I send, And who will go for us?' Then I said, 'Here am I! Send me'".
I. THERE ARE SO MANY things that we might say to encourage one another to a greater zeal to rescue lost souls.
A. The scriptures quoted above are packed full of encouragement concerning getting out and contacting the lost.
B. There dozens upon dozens of songs in our song books that are for the purpose of encouragement. Just note the words of many, many of them.
II. IT IS HARD TO KNOW the very best thing to say to cause people to go forth with a greater zeal and desire to bring the lost to Christ.
III. OUR GOSPEL MEETING that is to begin next Sunday is mainly designed for the purpose of bringing lost souls to Him that taketh away the sins of the world.
IV. EVEN THOUGH IT WILL also be a source of encouragement to the faithful and possibly a source of restitution to the erring, it is mainly designed to teach and convert the alien sinner.
V. FOR A MEETING TO BE A SUCCESS, it must be well advertised.
A. It must be well attended by the members.
B. Advertising material must be placed into the hands of every person in the area.
C. Word of mouth must be used in contacting as many as possible.
D. A willingness on the part of every member to bring their friends and neighbors with them must be put forth.
1. Offer these friends and neighbors a ride to the services.
VI. ABOVE ALL, there must be a love for lost souls.
A. If this is foremost in the minds of each and every Christian, the work will be accomplished.
VII. TO INSTILL IN YOUR HEARTS a love for lost souls, is where I come in.
A. As was stated in the beginning, I do not always know the best thing to say in order to set your heart on fire for the lost.
1. I might spend a lot of time telling of schemes whereby personal work could be done.
a. But the success of such schemes depends solely on you.
VIII. I AM A FIRM BELIEVER in singing praises to God.
A. I am also a firm believer in teaching and admonishing one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.
IX. OUR SONGS, MANY TIMES, are just chosen on the spur of the moment, and many times are just mouthed without any consideration of the lesson taught in the song.
A. I want to take this opportunity, at this time, to point out some songs that teach us to love the souls of the lost and to put forth an effort to save or to rescue them.
1. It would be good if we had time to sing them.
B. Here are the numbers given in our songbook: 6,20,24,30,61,80,81,103,109,110, 124,129,141,144,182,189,202,242,285,374,426,427.
1. (Brethren,you that are reading this post, these songs are taken from Christian Hymns No. 2. And here are a few from Sacred Selections: 497,529,527,528).
1. Yes, we need to "rescue the perishing, care for the dying, snatch them in pity from sin and the grave."
2. Are you doing all that you possibly can to accomplish this?
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /