I. Are You Ready?
A. We live in a land, a day and time, where people live in peril, peril from choosing to focus on the pleasures of the season and the moment instead of setting their minds on the world to come.
B. So, in this life people will chase personal dreams of power and glory, the American Dream, personal happiness, and perhaps gain fulfillment without regard to the fact that tomorrow they will stand before the Judgement Seat of God to give an accounting of their lives.
II. There Is a Judgment
A. The Bible is clear that God has set eternity in our hearts, Ecclesiastes 3:11.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
1. And though one may kick and scream in denial of the eternal realm, denial doesn’t rid oneself of what is coming.
2. What’s coming?
3. Death is coming!
B. And after our death arrives, there will be the judgment, Hebrews 9:27.
And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, (Hebrews 9:27)
1. For God has appointed a day in which He will judge the entire world, Acts 17:31.
2. Jude, the half-brother of Jesus, has called that day “the judgment of the great day,” Jude 1:6.
And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; (Jude 1:6)
III. The Day is Certain
A. As certain as you are listening today, is as certain the Judgment Day is approaching.
1. The truth is the Day of Judgment is irreversible, unalterable, and irrevocable.
2. There is no power strong enough to wish or to wash it away, or to force God to change His mind.
B. It is so irrevocable that the Apostle Paul references it over and over again as “that day,” “that day,” “that day,” in 2 Timothy 1:12, 18; 4:8.
1. Jesus calls “that day,” “the hour,” John 5:28, and says the hour is coming in which all that are in their graves will arise and face the judgment seat of God.
Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice (John 5:28)
IV. The Day is For Everyone, And That Means You
A. Every person from Adam to the last born on earth will stand before their Creator on that
1. The Revelator saw, “the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne,” Revelation 20:12.
2. That is people from every nation for “all the nations” of the earth will be present, Matthew 25:32.
All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
3. And that includes you, for “every knee” will bow, and “every tongue” will confess, Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11; Philippians 2:10-11.
V. Are You Ready?
Today we are standing in the Valley of Decision, Joel 3:14. And like Joshua asked Israel . . .
Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision. (Joel 3:14)
By Gary Murphy
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /