1. Today our nation is faced with many perplexing problems.
2. There are economic problems, unemployment problems, energy problems, ecological problems, moral problems, financial problems, racial problems, and many, many others.
3. In addition to all these problems, congress and the president are faced with the problem of priorities.
4. Which of these proplems is MOST important?
5. Which should be given MOST IMMEDIATE attention?
6. Some say crime, some say pollution, some say the economy; others insist that our unemployment problem should be given TOP PRIORITY.
7. In the field of religion, the Lord has removed all doubt as to what things are to have priority in the life of a Christian.
8. The Bible specifies two different, yet closely related things to be given TOP PRIORITY.
I. CHRIST. Col. 1:9-23.
A. He has shown Himself to be the Pre-eminent One in His:
1. Birth. -- Not only was His birth of a virgin foretold by prophets and angels, but it was also announced by an angel. Isa. 7:14; Lk. 1:26-33; 2:7-14.
2. Childhood. -- Lk. 2:40-52.
3. Baptism. -- Matt. 3:13-17.
4. Temptation. -- Matt. 4:1-11.
5. Transfiguration. -- Matt. 17:1-8.
6. Teaching. -- Matt. 7:28,29; Jno. 7:45,46.
7. Death. -- Matt. 27:45-54.
a. Many had been crucified before, but never had the sun refused to give its light, never an earthquake, never graves opened, never had the veil of the temple been rent from top to bottom.
8. Resurrection. -- Matt. 28:1-6; Rom. 1:4.
9. Greatness -- greater than:
a. Abraham. -- Matt. 3:7-12; Jno. 8:58.
b. Jonah. -- Matt. 12:38-41.
c. Solomon. -- Matt. 12:42.
d. Moses. -- Heb. 3:1-6.
e. Angels. -- Heb. 1:1-13.
f. Name - above every name. Phil. 2:9-11.
B. Hence, we should give Him the pre-eminence in:
1. Our affections. -- Col. 3:1-4; Matt. 19:29.
2. Our thoughts. -- Prov. 23:7; 4:23; Phil. 4:8.
a. It has been said: "The thoughts of today will be the dreams of tonight and the actions of tomorrow."
b. Our thoughts determine our actions; our actions determine our character; our character determines our destiny.
3. Our time. -- Eph. 5:15,16. All of us have the same amount of time.
a. So, it is not a matter of AMOUNT, but of the USE we make of our time.
b. Here again, priority is important
4. Our allegiance. -- Shall it be business, pleasure, or even country?
5. Our financial obligations. -- Matt. 6:19-21; 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
II. THE KINGDOM OF GOD. -- Matt. 6:33. (The church).
A. It belongs to Him. -- Matt. 16:18; Acts 20:28.
B. He is its Head. -- Eph. 1:22,23; Col. 1:18.
C. He is its Savior. -- Eph. 5:23.
D. Through it we must glorify God. -- Eph. 3:21.
E. In it are all spiritual blessings. -- Eph. 1:3.
1. We have noted two top priorities in our lives as Christians.
A. Christ and the church.
2. Just what do you consider as first in priority in your life?
3. By your actions and words, what are you showing to be first in your life?
4. If you are not a Christian, Satan has top priority in your life.
5. If you are an unfaithful child of God, Satan has top priority in your life also.
6. Why not set things straight right now by accepting Christ and His church as NUMBER ONE in your life?
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /