INTRO: 1. The word "precious" is used in its many forms about 73 times in the Bible.
2. There are many definitions drawn from the word and its use, such as:
A. Desire - Desirable objects - Good - Rare - Held in Honor - Very Expensive - Costly - Of Great Value - Dear.
3. Quite often the apostle Peter used the word "precious" when referring to the blessings we have in Christ.
4. Surely we should recognize the value of what God has given us.
A. Therefore, we should pay special heed to that which He calls "precious."
5. Since Peter speaks so much of the precious gifts of God, let us study some precious things that he names in his writings.
I. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS.
A. Look at what Peter says in: 1 Pet. 1:18,19.
B. The events at Calvary were not accidents!
1. Christ purposed to die for us, to shed His blood to cleanse us from sin.
a. Note what He said in: Jno. 10:17,18.
C. His death was voluntary, He gave Himself. Why?
1. Because: Heb. 9:22.
D. Only because of His blood can we come to God.
1. Look at what is said in: Heb. 10:19,20.
E. By His blood we are justified, Rom. 5:9, and by His blood we are reconciled to God, Col. 1:18-22.
F. Look at what John says: 1 Jno. 1:7.
G. Yes, the blood of Jesus is precious, it is very valuable to us.
1. Look at: Acts 20:28.
II. JESUS CHRIST IS OUR PRECIOUS CORNERSTONE.
A. Look at what Peter says: 1 Pet. 2:3-7.
B. Throughout the Bible Jesus is called that cornerstone.
1. That He is "the Christ, the Son of the living God", is the stone on which the church is built. Mt. 16:;18.
C. Paul writes that Christians are "built upon the foundations of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief corner stone." Eph. 2:20; 1 Cor. 3:10,11
1. In ancient buildings, every stone was "laid to" and measured from the corner stone.
a. It was the standard, the base, for the entire building.
2. So it is with Christ. To build our lives "upon the rock" Mt. 7:24-27, means to use Him as our standard; to do otherwise is to suffer loss.
3. Note what Peter says in Acts 4:11,12.
III. OURS IS A PRECIOUS FAITH.
A. Look at what Peter tells us in: 1 Pet. 1:7.
B. This "precious faith" does not come from within us, it is "Once for all delivered unto the saints" Jude 3.
C. This precious faith results from hearing the precious words of God. Rom. 10:17.
D. He tells us that there is "one faith" Eph. 4:5.
1. Peter echos this in 2 Pet. 1:1.
E. We are justified by faith, Rom. 5:1, and we are saved by faith, Eph. 2:8.
1. Paul also tells us that, "We walk by faith" 2 Cor. 5:7, and we "live by faith" Rom. 1;17
F. So, to share in "the like precious faith" which was "once for all delivered unto the saints" is a great blessing.
G. Yes, how precious is our faith!
IV. THE PROMISES OF GOD ARE PRECIOUS.
A. God made promise to Noah to save him, if Noah would do as God directed him.
1. God kept His promise.
B. He made promises to Abraham, and He kept them every one.
1. Look at what Peter says in, 2 Pet. 3:9.
C. But how abundant and glorious are those promises we find in the Gospel?
1. He promises us that we can be His children, that our sins can all be forgiven, that He will strengthen and keep us, that we can live with Him forever. 1 Jno. 3:1; Mk. 16:16; Mt. 28:18-20; Rom. 8:31-39; Jno. 14:1-6.
D. Peter wrote of these precious promises in: 2 Pet. 1:3,4.
E. His promises make possible our living the kind of life He wants us to live.
F. We can have assurance as we strive to serve Him. Heb. 10:23.
G. The Lord promised, "Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." Mt. 28:20.
H. Truly, His promises are precious.
1. As I look through the Bible, noting those things that are precious, I see the following things referred to as being precious:
A. Agreement and Unity. Psa. 133.
B. Death of the saints. Psa. 116:15.
C. Wisdom. Prov. 3:13-15.
D. The soul or life of Saul and David. 1 Sam. 26:21.
E. The thoughts of the Lord in the sight of David, Psa. 139:17.
2. We sing of "Precious Memories" flooding our souls.
A. Some things we desire to remember but others we would rather forget.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Sermon Outlines
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /