1. Some people relish the fact that Jesus came to earth.
2. But they seem to ignore the reason he came.
3. And in coming, that He overcame the world!
I. We must truly understand that the Christian IS NOT ruined by living in the world--- but by allowing the world to live in him!
A. Look at what Jesus said to His disciples shortly before His betrayal. (John
(31) Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe?
(32) Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.
(33) These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:31-33)
B. Do ye now believe? –
1. That is.
2. “It is well that ye do,
a. you are soon to be tested, and
b. in a way that ye little expect.”
C. John 16:32, Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will
be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone,
because the Father is with Me.
1. The hour is coming – You will shortly have need of all the faith you profess: you now believe me to be the Omniscient.
2. But you will find it difficult to maintain this faith when ye see me seized, condemned, and crucified as a malefactor.
3. Yes, your faith will be so shaken, that ye shall run away, each striving to save himself at his own home, or among his kindred.
4. What we must take with us, is the knowledge that “in Jesus’s” overcoming the world---- so can we!
5. because the Father is with me — how near, and with what sustaining power, who can describe it?
D. John 16:33 That in me ye might have peace –
1. I give you this warning as another proof that I know all things, and to the end that you may look to me alone for peace and happiness.
2. The peace of God is to be understood as including all possible blessedness - light, strength, comfort, support, a sense of the Divine favor, anointing of the Holy Spirit, purification of heart, etc., etc., and all these to be enjoyed “in Christ”.
3. In the world ye shall have tribulation — specially arising from its deadly opposition to those who “are not of the world, but chosen out of the world.” So that the “peace” promised was far from an unruffled one.
4. I have overcome the world — not only before you, but for you, that ye may be able to do the same (1John 5:4-5).
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
(1 John 5:4-5)
1. IN Christ, we will overcome the world as well!
1. “In Christ” is an idea that must be understood as meaning obedient faith in our Lord and Savior
2. Being “in Christ” is overcoming the world.
3. If you are not “in Christ” we want to offer you the opportunity to be “in Christ and overcome the world.
By Gary D. Murphy
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /