What Opened Eyes Saw
In this text we see two things: The end of innocence & the beginning of God's plan for fallen man's redemption.
A. The result of the sin was two fold:
1) Physical death - Gen 3:22
a. "For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive." 1 Cor 15:21
b. This is clear as we see man's longevity decline in Bible.
2) Spiritual death
a. Rom. 5:12, Rom 6:23
b. We do not inherit Adam's sin but we all die in the same way he & Eve did: By choice.
1. James 1:14-15 (read)
B. Gen 3:7 tells us after eating the fruit, their eyes were opened.
1) They saw many things for the very first time.
2) What did they see and how will it help us?
I. They saw that knowledge of good/evil brings responsibility.
A. The responsibility was already theirs
1) Gen. 2:16-17 (read)
2) By her response, Eve knew exactly what consequences would be. (Gen 3:2-3)
3) Still, deceived or not, they went against God's word.
B. The same today. We cannot plead ignorance. (Acts 17:30)
1) Most folks today know they are doing things God considers wrong.
2) They also know that there are some things that God considers good.
a. Yet, this knowledge does not spur to change.
C. Knowing good & evil (right & wrong) means WE have to make choice to change.
1) Acts 15:3 (read)
2) Gentiles converted (changed by choice) because they were told the truth about good & evil.
a. Titus 2:11-12 (read)
b. Learn & change. It's called accepting responsibility!
II. They saw that the beauty (to us) of sin is ugly to God.
A. Gen 3:6 - The fruit appealed to Eve.
1) Devil works in same way today.
2) 1 John 2:15-17 (read)
a. Wrap up death in a nice looking package & people will buy it!
b. Consider alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, promiscuous sex
B. Things can be wrong & sinful:
1) Even if it makes us feel good. (If it feels good, do it!)
2) Even if no one gets hurt. (I'm not hurting anyone!)
3) Even if we do it just one time. (Just to see what it's like!)
4) Even if we consider it no big deal. (Only a piece of fruit!)
C. While Adam & Eve saw only a seemingly innocent thing, God saw the death and separation that would follow.
1) He sees the grossness of sin & hates it.
a. "For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; but He is intimate with the upright." Prov 3:32
D. How then do we stay on good terms with Him?
1) Look at sin the way God sees it. Open your eyes & flee from it.
a. 2 Tim. 2:22 (read)
III. They saw that sin produces a nakedness that we cannot adequately cover. Gen 3:7 (read)
A. While this is a good place to talk about proper clothing, there is something deeper going on here.
1) Adam & Eve attempted to cover themselves up.
a. Their feeble efforts were inadequate.
b. So God provided a better covering. Gen 3:21
c. Interesting to note that an animal skin infers the death of the animal. (Shadow of things to come?)
B. We are reminded that all of our best attempts at righteousness are miserable!
1) "All our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment.." Is. 64:6
2) Yet we still need a proper covering.
C. Just as He did in Eden, God provides it.
1) Alluded to in parable of prodigal son - Luke 15:22
2) Because we are so insufficient, we need the covering of One who is perfect.
a. "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor 5:21
D. How do we appropriate this perfect covering?
1) Gal. 3:26-27 (read)
2) Once clothed in "robes of white", we are responsible for keeping them clean.
a. Rev. 22:14, 19:7-8 (read)
3) Once we put Him on, we need to KEEP Him on!
a. "Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Rom. 13:14 (NIV)
They also saw that they could not hide from God. Gen 3:8-10
A. God has been called the "Hound of heaven" because of His relentless pursuit of man.
1) "And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do." Heb 4:13
2) The reason is because of His great love for us.
B. Are you trying to hide from Him?
1) He's shown His love by sending His Son. Rom. 5:8
2) Why run?
By Zeke Flores
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /