• What Obedience Shows
• By our actions, we declare to the world our love and respect for God and
doing His will
• Obedience is often viewed negatively; as if obedience implies force must
be applied in order to bring about the desired result.
• In fact, the opposite is true:
• Obedience that pleases God is generated from a heart of trust (faith),
devotion and love.
• It’s voluntary, humble and willingly submissive to God.
• Why is it that obedience to God is an expression of our love for God?
• OBEDIENCE SHOWS RESPECT FOR GOD'S LOVE
• 1 John 5:3.
• Principle to be Taught and Learned in the Family,
• The sons of Eli illustrate the dishonor of disobedience, 1 Samuel 2:22-25.
• Listen to (obedience implied) and do not disrespect, Proverbs 23:22 (19:26;
• Obeying God shows the world that We Love God, cf. John 14:31.
• Our obedience is our example to the world! Matthew 22:36-38
• Give the world a lesson on the love of obedience!
• This is the example we must set for the world, 1 Peter 2:11-12.
• Respect is the practical exercise of love (goodwill, charity).
• Respect for God Demands our Obedience, Deuteronomy 11:18-23.
• Respect is shown by actions, not mere words, Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46.
• Obedience reflects the place of honor we give God in our heart; cf. 1
• OBEDIENCE SHOWS RELIANCE UPON GOD'S GRACE
• Ephesians 6:24.
• God's Grace Teaches Us Obedient Living, Titus 2:11-14.
• Divine favor (grace) in our lives should compel a corresponding response
in us that denies (rejects, disavows and refuses) ungodliness (lack of piety)
and worldly lusts while engendering good fruit.
• Grace impacts our manner of life; Must live...
• Soberly: "suggests the exercise of that self-restraint that governs
all passions and desires, enabling the believer to be conformed to the mind of
• Righteously: "just", without prejudice or partiality (Vine)
• Godly: "pious, devout" (Vine).
• Obedience Reflects Our Assurance and Trust in the Blessings of God's Grace.
• Faith at work shows our reliance upon God's grace, knowing we do not earn
our salvation, Romans 5:1-2; Galatians 5:1, 4-7.
• The blessing of answered prayer, 1 John 3:18-22 (5:14-15).
• We depend on God's grace, knowing that by faith the blessings of grace
are ours now and eternally.
• OBEDIENCE SHOWS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF FAITH IN GOD
• Obedience takes Responsibility for Trusting God's Way is Right, Hebrews
• To live a life for an unseen land is the essence of dependence on God
and trust in Him. (Hebrews 11:13-16)
• We walk by faith, taking responsibility for our actions before men and
God, 2 Corinthians 5:7-11.
• Obedience takes Responsibility for making Sacrifices that Please God,
• Obedience says, "God will work it out"!
• Obedience says, "I will suffer the loss of everything in order to
gain Christ", Philippians 3:7-9.
• Obedience takes Responsibility by Choosing the Reproach of Christ, Hebrews
• By obedience we share in the sufferings of Christ, Philippians 3:10.
• By obedience we defy the forces that vainly fight against the purposes
of God - and receive glory! cf. Philippians 2:8-9; Colossians 3:4
• Obey Christ now and show you respect Him and rely on His grace.
• Take responsibility for your faith in Him by obeying Him now and always.
• Christ saves all who obey Him, Hebrews 5:9.
• We cannot get to heaven without obedience to His will.
By Carey Scott from an outline by Joe R. Price
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me