• Such a common word in the world, but used only once in the Bible.
• This word is very important.
• This will be a lesson that is important to all who want to go to heaven.
• The word is used only a few times in the Bible.
• 1 Samuel 25:7 and 1 Kings 20:39
• There are many uses of the word in our language,
• And we want to look at them as used in the world,
• And at the same time, make a spiritual application for us.
• A lot of things are implied when we use this word.
• To some it means “never was” and to others it means something
is not where it is supposed to be.
• As we will see, most of the world is indifferent when something goes missing.
• Whatever the object is that is missing; it is important to at least one
• It may be important to many people, but they just do not know it.
• There is value placed upon what is missing.
• It may be valuable to only one person.
• Sometimes we see the signs around town about a missing dog.
• Sure, we understand that such dog has value to its owners.
• But when the sign adds the word “reward”, all of a sudden
the dog has a greater value to others.
• If the reward were not offered, most people would just ignore the sign,
and even if they saw the dog, they would most likely not do a thing (not even
call the people who were missing the dog).
• “Something Is Missing”
• Have you ever stood over the stove and taste what you are cooking, and
realize something is missing?
• What you want is unique and special, and you try to figure out how to
get the food to taste just like grandma’s dish.
• You may have followed a recipe that grandma wrote down years ago.
• The likely thing a person would do is to begin experimenting with different
ingredients until they get it (at least) very close to the original.
• Maybe you would get another family member to taste it and get their opinion.
• When we say something is missing, the object we seek is not where it is
supposed to be.
• When that happens, we make some assumptions.
• If your car is missing, you assume someone stole it.
• If your jewelry is missing, you assume someone broke into your house and
• Sometimes you may not readily recognize what is missing, but you know
something is missing.
• Also when we say missing, we assume it is lost.
• Many people lose things when they move or change things around.
• To turn this into a spiritual application, we compare the scenario.
• God wrote down a specific formula or recipe many years ago.
• This is God’s plan of salvation for man.
• Over the years, men have changed the formula and added things or left
• They no longer have the original.
• Now if they would go back and follow the recipe, they would be on the
• A Person Is Missing
• Did you realize according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited
children, roughly 800,00 children are reported missing each year in the United
• That’s roughly 2,000 per day.
• 1,885 are taken by family or friends,
• 115 are taken by strangers.
• Some run away from home.
• Some go do things without letting a parent know where they are going.
• Is this not important?
• When a person goes missing, someone has to figure that out.
• Once they do, they start to show concern for the missing and sometimes
panic sets in.
• There are so many people in this world that do not care about family members
that if they did not show up, they would not be missed.
• It takes an unprepared meal or chores not done to concern others in the
• This is so sad, but it is reality for millions in this country alone.
It is worse in other countries.
• The Most Famous Missing Person
• As we read in Luke 2:41-50.
• Jesus accompanied His parents to the Passover feast every year.
• When He was 12, they went.
• On the journey home, they realized Jesus was not with the caravan, so
they returned to look for the lost boy.
• Three days later, they found Him in the temple teaching and being taught
by spiritual leaders.
• Yes, Jesus was missing from the parent’s perspective, but not from
His or God’s perspective.
• What Else Is Missing?
• Most people are missing a moral compass.
• What is missing from our world is our young people are not taught to respect
authority, elders, leaders and the rule of law.
• What is missing so often in the conversation is common sense.
• God is missing from our society.
• Until God is restored, we will be missing civility and fairness.
• Our society is missing discipline all the way around.
• The truth is missing just about everywhere.
• For many people, the truth does not fit the narrative they want to promote.
• A love for the truth is missing in people’s hearts.
• Justice is missing for many people.
• Fairness is missing everywhere; some get away with breaking the law, while
others are prosecuted for the same things.
• There are so many more things that are missing from our society and world.
• There is a solution that would work.
• Obeying the commands of God would remedy many of our ills in society.
• Getting people on board is the hard part.
• Most will reject God and His word.
• The result will be damnation.
• Do your part to insure your place in heaven.
By Carey Scott
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me