1 Jno. 4:7-21.
1. I have been asked many times to preach on the subject of love.
2. But I feel that most of those that ask, really want to hear about God's love for man and what He has done and will do for man.
3. They possibly do not want to hear about man's love for God and what is required to express this love. Or man's love for his fellowman and what is required to show such.
4. Many times we desire to hear about what has been done for us and what is being done for us.
5. But do we desire to hear about what we must do?
6. Love is certainly a many splendored thing and entails many facits.
7. The word LOVE and its derivatives, are used many times in the Bible.
8. It is used more than 200 times in the Old Testament and it is used more than 350 times in the New Testament.
9. So, love has a prominent place in the Bible.
10. We shall notice love from three different aspects. First, let us read the text: 1 Jno. 4:7-21.
I. GOD'S LOVE FOR MAN.
A. God is love. 1 Jno. 4:8,16.
1. His love is shown in all of His creation. Gen. 1:1-27.
2. In creating man in His own image. Gen. 1:27.
a. What a great honor! What wonderful love!
3. Man was placed in beautiful Eden. God communed with him. Gen. 2.
a. Man kept not the honored position, but sinned. Gen. 3:1-8.
b. The gates of the garden were closed against him. Gen. 3:22-24.
c. He was separated from the tree of life.
4. God did not withdraw His love from man, but prepared a plan of redemption. Gen. 3:15.
a. Through this plan, man could once again have access to the tree of life.
B. Christ is a great manifestation of God's love. Jno. 3:16.
1. It is love in the superlative degree. There is Good, Better, and Best. This is the Best.
2. Christ lived among men doing good. Acts 10:38.
3. He suffered and died for men while they were yet sinners. Rom. 5:7,8; Eph. 2:4, 5.
C. The Bible is a gift of God's love. 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
1. It contains the mind of God. 1 Cor. 2:1-16.
2. His Holy Spirit revealed it. Eph. 3:3-7; 2 Pet. 1:21.
3. His providence has preserved it. Matt. 24:35.
4. It will save us and lead us to heaven. Rom. 1:16,17; Jas. 1:21.
D. The church is a gift of God's love. Eph. 3:8-11.
1. It is in His plan for redeeming man. Eph. 5:23.
2. It is purchased and sealed by the blood of Christ. Acts 20:28.
3. All spiritual blessings are in the church. Eph. 1:3.
E. The promise of eternal life is a gift of God's love. Jno. 3:16; 17:1,2; Rom. 6:23; 1 Jno. 5:11.
1. Nothing can separate us from the love of God. Rom. 8:38,39.
II. MAN'S LOVE FOR GOD. Deut. 6:5; 10:12,13; Jos. 23:11.
A. To love God, is to keep His commandments. Jno. 14:15; 1 Jno. 5:3; 2 Jno. 6.
1. The commandments to alien sinners are as follows:
a. Hear the Word. Rom. 10:17.
b. Believe the Word. Heb. 11:6.
c. Repent of one's sins. Acts 17:30.
d. Confess Jesus as the Christ. Rom. 10:10.
e. Be Baptized for the remission of sins. Acts 2:38.
2. The commandments to Christians in their worship are as follows:
a. Study and teach God's word. 2 Tim. 2:15; Matt. 28:19,20.
b. Sing praises to His matchless name. Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16.
c. Partake of the Lord's Supper every Lord's Day. 1 Cor. 11:23-30; Acts 20:7.
d. Lay by in store as we are prospered. 1 Cor. 16:1,2; 2 Cor. 9:6-8.
e. Pray regularly. Acts 2:42; 1 Thes. 5:17.
3. The commandments to Christians in their every day life are as follows:
a. Add the Christian graces as found in 2 Pet. 1:5-11.
b. Subtract the lusts of the flesh. Gal. 5:19-21.
c. Bear the fruit of the Spirit. Gal. 5:22,23.
d. Walk by the Spirit. Gal. 5:16-18,25.
e. Forsake not to assemble with the saints at the appointed time and place. Heb. 10:25.
B. To love God, is to reverence and respect Him. Psa. 89:7; 111:9; Heb. 12:28; Isa. 17:7; Eccl. 5:1,2; Lev. 19:30; Hab. 2:20; Matt. 18:20.
1. God is in our midst when we meet to worship Him. Matt. 18:20.
C. To love God, is to love our fellowman. 1 Jno. 4:20,21.
III. MAN'S LOVE FOR MAN. Matt. 5:44; Jno. 13:34,35; 1 Cor. 13; 1 Pet. 1:22; 1 Jno. 3:18.
1. Certainly love is a great and wonderful theme of the Bible.
2. But it is a three way proposition, and is more than just God's love for us.
3. God loves us and proves it everyday.
4. We must love God and prove it everyday, by doing His will.
5. We can prove it by loving our fellowman.
6. Let us remember what is said in: Matt. 22:36-40.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /