Why Do You Call Me Lord, Lord'
And Do Not Do What I Say?"
Many today involved in different causes.
A. Civil rights
1) From minority rights to police brutality
2) Cost Martin Luther King his life.
B. Animal rights, humane societies
1) Save the whale, spotted owl, etc
2) See the effects on toiletry labels
a. "No animals used in testing this product"
3) Some so committed they their homes resemble kennels!
C. Environmental issues
1) Tree-sitters, GreenPeace
D. Point: People find something to believe in, then commit themselves TOTALLY to the cause!
1) They rally behind a leader they can believe in who can lead them to victory.
E. Why is it when we consider the cause of Christ, Christians sometimes fall miserably short?
1) We pass the buck:
a. Let the preacher evangelize, it's his job!
b. We're ALL ministers!
c. "Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not lose heart." 2 Cor. 4:1
2) Too many want to be "bench-warmers" & not active
3) Minister of large church was asked how many members. "Oh, about 1,000," he said. "Wow!" said the friend, "How many active?" "All of them," replied the preacher. "Wonderful!" exclaimed the friend. "Not really," said the preacher, "Only 150 active for the Lord, the rest are active for the devil!"
F. Time to ask ourselves who WE are active for.
1) "He who is not with Me is against Me and he who does not gather with Me scatters." Jesus - Matt. 12:30
I. Jesus addresses this with a question & a parable. Luke 6:46
A. "Why do you call Me Lord, Lord'?"
1) "Lord" means "Master, the one in control, supreme authority" The Boss!
2) Why would we assign to Him a title and then deny it by our actions?
B. If Jesus is truly Lord, then He calls the shots.
1) WE serve HIM!
a. Nothing matters: Relationships, Convenience,
b. All that matters is His Lordship.
C. He reminds us that not all who call Him "Lord" really mean it
1) Matt. 7:21-23 (read)
2) We might think we have God fooled but think again!
a. "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
II. The very question Jesus asks condemns "lip service"
A. It was rampant then as it is now.
1) "This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far away from me." Matt 15:8
2) Surprise! We do the same thing!
B. We tell others "I'm a Christian" or "Jesus is Lord" and then deny that fact by doing what WE want instead of what Jesus commands.
1) Instead of studying the Word, we say "I can't understand it" or "I don't have time"
2) Instead of assembling EVERY service, we say something else is more important by the other activities we choose.
III. When we agree to membership of a local church, we agree to the teaching and methods of that congregation.
A. Main purpose of the church is to preach & teach the gospel. 1 Tim. 3:15 (read)
1) In congregation with elders, elders agrees that certain times for services are needed to feed each other & to be fed.
a. Hence, Sunday night and Wednesday.
b. Sometimes "special" services: Gospel Meetings
2) In a church W/O elders, same things are decided by the church through men of the congregation.
B. Many believe that attending only one service a week is good enough Our meetings are NOT intended to be a "pain" but are intended to help us keep the commands of the Lord.
1) Some of those commands:
a. Rom. 12:10-12, 14:19 (read)
b. Eph. 4:11-16, 5:18-21 (read)
2) These are just a few, there are MANY things we are commanded to do that relate to our edification.
a. NO better time than when we assemble.
b. THAT'S why: "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another and all the more, as you see the day drawing near." Heb 10:23-25
3) Notice there's no distinction: Sunday AM, PM, or Wed.!
C. From ONE sin (forsaking) many others come!
1) Not assembling!
2) Not praying (1 Thess. 5:17 - Pray w/o ceasing)
3) Not singing (Eph. 5:19)
4) Not taking the Lord's supper
5) Not giving - As much a part of worship as anything we do
6) Not encouraging each other, building up
7) Not stimulating, stirring each other up
8) Not studying the Word to uphold & support the truth!
9) Many more! How important it is for us to assemble at EVERY service!
Only when we DO what the Lord (Master) says, are we truly building on a solid foundation. Luke 6:46-49 (read)
A. The key words are: HEARS AND ACTS
1) "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
2) Don't let it be YOUR road.
B. When you call Jesus "Lord", MEAN IT by the actions that show it.
1)"They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed." Titus 1:16
2) Let Him be Master by following His commands.
By Zeke Flores
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /