PARENTS, WHAT WILL YOU LEAVE YOUR
1. Back around the first of Oct. last year, 1987, I brought a lesson on the subject of the HOME.
A. In that lesson, I dealt with several aspects of the home.
2. Today, I want to look at another aspect of the home as it has to do with the future.
A. This aspect has to do with what we, as parents, are going to be leaving our children as we conclude our lives.
3. No doubt, many of you have already given some consideration to this.
A. Possibly, many of you have already drawn up your wills as to how you want your properties divided among your children.
B. Many of you have been working hard to furnish a living for your children now, and some security for their future. 1 Tim. 5:8.
4. All of this preparation and supplying is well and good, as long as it is kept in proper perspective.
A. It all boils down to priorities. Let us now note some things that should always be at the top of the list when it comes to what we should leave our children.
I. SOUND TEACHING:
A. This has been required of God down through the ages: Deut. 6:1-9; Eph. 6:4; 2 Tim. 3:14,15; 1:5.
II. RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY AND DISCIPLINE:
A. Note these Scriptures: Prov. 3:12; 19:18; 13:24; 22:15; 23:13,14; 29:15,17.
III. TRUE VALUES:
A. Note these Scriptures: Prov. 22:1; Matt. 16:24-26; 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
IV. SOME OF OUR TIME NOW, LOOKING TO THE FUTURE:
A. It would be good for you to listen to the popular song: "Cat In The Cradle".
B. Note these Scriptures: Eph. 5:16; Col. 4:5; Jer. 8:20.
V. A GOOD EXAMPLE:
A. Note these Scriptures: 1 Pet. 2:21; 1 Cor. 11:1; 1 Tim. 4:12.
1. Some of us put a lot of emphasis on gathering materials for the physical well-being of our children after we leave this life.
2. The best legacy that you can leave your children is the example of a faithful Christian life.
3. The life you live before them and with them. The teaching that you give them, will be the very best legacy that you could leave your children.
4. More concern should be given to their Spiritual welfare than to their physical.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /