House to House Evangelism
The spring, summer, and fall seasons are perfect times to evangelize house to house. The whole body of Christ has this responsibility.
A. House to house evangelism began in the first century:
1. Acts 5:42 "And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ."
2. Acts 16:32-34 "And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house."
3. Acts 18:8 "And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized."
4. Acts 20:20 "And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house."
B. Public teaching began in the first century.
1. Jesus in the "Sermon on the Mount" (Matthew chapters 5-7).
2. The Day of Pentecost (Acts 2).
3. Mars Hill (Acts 17).
C. This congregation needs to have the reputation of the Thessalonians (I Thessalonians 1:7-8) "So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia. For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing."
I. Evangelism saves souls
A. There are many that read the Bible and cannot find the truth. Why?
1. Acts 8:30-31 "And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him."
a. The result (Acts 8:32-38).
2. It is our (Christians) responsibility to preach to the lost. (II Corinthians 4:5-7) "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."
B. It is the word that is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16).
1. Nothing else can save you (I Peter 1:18-25).
C. Without preaching there is NO WAY a person can be saved (Romans 10:14-17).
II. We should feel as Paul
A. Many have this attitude: "The world owes me everything. I owe the world nothing. I was born into the world; I did not choose to be here. I expect the world to care for me, although I have no intention of caring for the world." Notice Paul's attitude: (Romans 1:14-17) "I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith."
B. When was Paul made a debtor? Acts 26:12-19
1. Paul realized the obligation of preaching the Gospel. I Corinthians 9:16-19 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more." a. Paul was a chosen vessel Acts 9:15 "But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel."
2. Paul realized that the blood of men would be on his hands if he did not preach. Acts 20:26-27 "Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God."
3. Paul paid. II Timothy 4:6-8 "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."
4. Paul realized he was a debtor to Christ and he made Christ not on the center of his life, but of his death as well. Philippians 1:21 "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
C. The Lord has left each one of us a portion of work in the Kingdom. We do not want to let Him return finding us digging holes and burying our work (Matthew 25:14-30).
III. Things that discourage brethren about "house to house" evangelism
A. The excuse: "We have not baptized anyone from door to door campaigns lately."
1. We are to preach the Gospel and let God give the increase (I Corinthians 3:6) "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase."
2. Our goal should be to preach the Gospel (I Corinthians 1:17) "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."
a. Baptism will come as a result of the faith arrived at through preaching (Mark 16:15-16).
B. The excuse: "We need a better method." Our preacher just is not getting it done
1. No, we need better commitments to fulfill the great commission from ALL BRETHREN (Matthew 28:19).
C. The excuse: "Denominations are growing without door knocking."
1. Matthew 7:13-14
2. Denominations are going to hell. Do you want to follow their practices?
D. Preaching is commanded (Mark 16:15-16). There is no excuse!
1. Notice the following statement by the Apostle Paul:
a. I Corinthians 9:16 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"
2. We should not be able to keep the truth to ourselves. (Jeremiah 20:9) "Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay."
3. Whose blood do you want on your hands? Ezekiel 3:18 "When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."
The church is supposed to be the pillar and ground of the truth (I Timothy 3:15). What does a pillar do? It holds up, supports, let's stand, etc. If we are the ground and the pillar of truth, we should hold it up in this area of lost folks!
by Brian A. Yeager
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /