HINDERING THE WORK OF GOD.
1. The work of God is that work that God has layed out for us to do.
2. Such is mentioned in the following scriptures: Jno. 9:1-8; 1 Cor. 15: 58; Jno. 6:27-29; Titus 2:11-14; 2 Tim. 3:16,17; 1 Tim. 6:18.
3. As we have noted in 2 Tim. 3:16,17, the good work of God, or that which is from God, is found in the New Testament.
4. So, hindering the work of God means impeding it progress. Mt. 18: 7; 1 Cor. 8:13.
A. It is placing a stumblingblock in the way of those that are trying to do God's work or will.
5. Since men are responsible for doing the work of God, they are also responsible for its hinderance.
I. SOME PEOPLE THAT HINDER THE WORK OF GOD:
A. Atheists: They say, "There is no God."
1. The Bible calls such a person, "a fool". Psa. 14:1.
B. Agnostics: They say, "I don't know whether there is a God or not nor if the Bible is His word."
1. The Bible warns of such: Hos. 4:6; Jno. 7:17; 8:32; Eph. 5:17; 2 Tim. 2:15.
C. Unbelievers: They say, "Jesus is not God's Son.
1. Someone might be ready to say: "You know that there are not any people in the world that do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God."
a. To such, let me hasten to say, there are more that do not believe in Christ as the Son of God than do believe it.
1) That might come as a shock to some people but it is true.
2. The Bible also warns against such: Jno. 8:24; 1 Jno. 2:22,23; 2 Jno 7.
D. Hypocrites: They say and do not. They live a lie.
1. Jesus rebuked such with a word: Mt. 23:13.
E. Power seekers: My way or else. I'm the one to reckon with.
1. John warned of such: 3 Jno. 9,10; Mt. 20:20-28.
F. False teachers: Teach without authority.
1. We read of such in the Bible: Acts 20:28-30; 1 Jno. 4:1; Jer. 29:8,9 Gal. 1:6-9.
G. Lukewarm, unconcerned members: They couldn't care less.
1. The Lord speaks of such: Rev. 3:14-16; Rom. 12:9-21.
H. Associates: Those that try to lead you astray.
1. The Bible warns of such: 1 Cor. 15:33; 1 Pet. 4:1-5.
I. Family: One's own relatives.
1. Jesus tells of such: Mt. 10:34-39.
J. Procrastination: I'll do it tomorrow. I'll get around to it.
1. Felix is an example: Acts 24:24,25.
1. There might be several other things we could ment- ion that would hinder the work of God, but these will suffice for now.
2. Friend, are you hindering the work of God?
3. Remember that Jesus said, "Either you are with me, or you are against me."
4. Surely, you do not want to be numbered with those that are against Jesus and are hindering the work of God?
5. Why not cease being a hinderance and begin to be a help even today?
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /
Return to Sermon Outlines