GOD'S REVELATION AND MAN'S RESPONSE
1. One of these things serves to provoke the other.
2. If man accepts God and His power, he will respect and obey Him.
3. Nature reveals that there is a God; the Bible reveals His characteristics and His will for man.
4. In a study of the 19th Psalm, we have many thought provoking statements.
5. Let us now take time to read and apply this Psalm portion by portion, as follows: 19:1-6; 7,8; 9-14.
I. REVELATION THROUGH NATURE. vss. 1-6.
A. Note the greatness of the universe. Let us now consider some illustrations.
1. The magnitude of the knowable universe and the perfection with which it moves, staggers the imagination.
2. This earth is one of the smaller planets that make up the solar system.
a. It is 25,000 miles in circumference.
b. When I say "solar system", I am referring to the planets that rotate around the sun.
1) There are nine of these planets.
a) One of these is Jupiter which is 1,300 times larger than earth and has twelve moons of its own.
(1) Four of these moons revolve around Jupiter from east to west.
(2) Eight of them revolve from west to east.
(a) But they never collide.
b) Another of the planets that revolve around the sun is Saturn. Saturn has 9 moons.
(1) Titan is one of these moons, the largest one.
(2) Another of these moons is Phoebe.
(a) Phoebe is eight million miles from Saturn.
(b) Phoebe revolves from east to west, and the other moons of Saturn go from west to east.
c) Another of the planets that revolve around the sun is Uranus. Uranus has 5 moons that are visible, and they all revolve from east to west.
d) Then there is Neptune, that has 2 moons that have been found. One moon revolves from east to west; the other from west to east.
e) Then, there are Pluto, Mercury and Venus that have no moons.
f) Earth has only one moon and it is 240,000 miles from the earth.
3. The sun is so large, that if it were hollow like a coconut with an outer shell 100,000 miles thick, there would still be room inside for both the earth and the moon to travel their orbits 240,000 miles apart.
4. If that type of magnitude seems astounding, note this one:
a. Although our sun is 1,300,000 times larger than the earth, there is one star in the constellation of Orion, Betelgeuse, that is 248 times larger than the sun.
5. Antares, in the constellation of Scorpio, is 4,000,000,000 miles in diameter.
a. It is so large, that if it were hollow, both the earth and the sun could be put inside it at 93,000,000 miles apart.
6. Our sun with its nine planets, is only ONE solar system. They tell us there are more than 300,000,000 solar systems.
7. The annual journey of the earth is also interesting.
a.It travels 292 million miles at about 70,000 miles per hour.
b. It takes it 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 45.51 seconds to rotate and revolve around the sun. Any space activity by man, can and does depend upon the accuracy and efficiency of all universal movements.
1) Does anyone believe that such accuracy is an accident that just happened?
2) Let's take note of some scripture: Psa. 8; Heb. 11:3; Rom. 1:19,20; Rev. 4:11; Job 14; 1 Cor. 15; Lk. 8: 5-15; Gal. 6:7,8. These, in many ways, appeal to nature and natural things in order to teach truth on Spiritual matters.
8. In Psa. 19:2,3, we find inanimate objects speaking.
a. But, so does the flag, Lincoln Memorial, Statue of Liberty, etc. Heb. 11:4; 12:24.
9. Nature is a universal language, Psa. 19:4,5: Heb. 4:13; Psa. 14:1.
10. Nature, by God, is the source of life. Psa. 19:6.
II. REVELATION BY LAW. vss. 7,8.
A. Nature only declares that God is.
1. God's laws are perfect in nature and in revelation. Jas. 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
B. Let us note what all the law does:
1. It converts, makes wise, enlightens, etc.
C. God's testimony is His law. Exo. 25:16,21,22.
1. What did this divine testimony or law show to man?
a. That man has many errors, both secret and open.
b. That man is often an ignorant transgressor; and self-deception comes through that ignorance.
c. That man should pray for deliverance upon obeying.
III. MAN'S RESPONSE. vss. 9-14.
A. Verse 9, it is right to fear God, Eccl. 12:13, Who has such power and judgment.
B. Verse 10, live by the word, Matt. 4:4. Note the attitude of modern man. He thinks he can live without God's Word.
C. Verse 11, there are many warnings; reward goes to the obedient. The wise builder, Matt. 7:24,25; Those who wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb, Rev. 22:14.
D. Verse 12, man may not know all of his sins; some may be hidden or overlooked through ignorance.
E. Verse 13, Note Deut. 17:12,13; 18:20-22; 2 Pet. 2:10. Daring, Presumptious, Shameless and Irreverent.
F. Verse 14, is a good description of a controlled life; words and thoughts under control, the actions will then be acceptable in God's sight.
1. Yes, there are many thoughts to consider in Psa. 19.
2. Other chapters, in this and other books of the Bible, have just as great amount of teaching.
3. So, we are behoved to study the word of God and to respond favorably to it.
4. What about you, how are you going to respond at this time?
5. Why not respond favorably right now?
by Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /