• Some thoughts to consider.
• Godliness is a trait of character that is mentioned several times in the scriptures.
• Paul’s letter to Timothy has the greatest usage of the word.
• As we look at the word, we see that it is a positive thing to capture and make a part of our character.
• But how do we describe godliness?
• Just what is Godliness?
• It comes from the Greek word "eusebia" and Thayer tells us it means: "piety towards God, godliness".
• In the New Testament, the KJV, this form of the word is found 15 times, 14 times it is translated "godliness" and 1 time "holiness."
• Mr. Barclay, in his New Testament Words, tells us that :
• "Eusebia is the right attitude to God and to things divine, the attitude which does not eliminate God all together, and which gives God the place He ought to occupy in life and in thought and in devotion...
• Eusebia gives God the right place in our hearts, and worships God in the right way."
• So, when we look at these definitions of the word "Godliness", we see that it involves the right attitude of mind toward God and the right kind of action toward God and divine things.
• Is there any way to be saved without godliness?
• After our lesson, I think you will agree that the answer is no!
• 1 Timothy 2
• 2. for kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
• 10. but rather by means of good works, as befits women making a claim to godliness.
• 1 Timothy 3
• 16. And by common confession great is the mystery of godliness; He who was revealed in the flesh, was vindicated in the Spirit, beheld by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.
• 1 Timothy 4
• 7. but have nothing to do with world fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;
• 8. for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
• 1 Timothy 6
• 3. If anyone advocates a different doctrine, and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
• 5. and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.
• 6. But godliness actually is a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment.
• 11. But flee from these things, you man of God; and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
• 2 Timothy 3
• 5. holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; and avoid such men as these.
• Titus 1
• Paul, a bond-servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,
• 2 Peter 1
• 3. seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
• 6. and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness.
• 7. and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
• 2 Peter 3
• 11. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
• Notice that this word is not used until the latter days of the New Testament writings.
• However the concept must have been preached from the beginning of the gospel.
• Seeing as the word used in the later texts was used to describe what a faithful Christian was to be as written in the early texts.
• Godliness is profitable
• 1 Timothy 4:8
• When we learn to focus upon pleasing God and being the kind of person God wants us to be, our whole being is better in all of these.
• Godliness is profitable
• At all times now,
• And the ultimate profit will be realized when we get to heaven.
• That means it will have been worth it to pursue godliness.
• Each of these verses gives us a better understanding about what godliness means.
• 2 Peter 1:5-11 informs us that we must be actively pursuing godliness and it is for our soul’s salvation.
• Can you consider yourself to have godliness?
• Do you need to make changes to become the godly person God wants you to be?
By Carey Scott
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me