1. Godliness is one of the beautiful traits mentioned in 2 Pet. 1:5-11 that we must add to our lives in order to make our calling and election sure.
2. When we turn to what Paul told Timothy in 1 Tim. 4:6-10, we find that Godliness is an exercise, a discipline, a training that we must vigorously engage in to the profit of all things. Col. 2:20-23; Rom. 8:13,19.
3. Just what is Godliness? It comes from the Greek word "eusebia" and Thayer tells us it means: "piety towards God, godliness".
A. In the New Testament, the KJV, this form of the word is found 15 times, 14 times it is translated "godliness" and 1 time "holiness."
B. Mr. Barclay, in his New Testament Words, tells us that : "Eusebia is the right attitude to God and to things divine, the attitude which does not eliminate God all together, and which gives God the place He ought to occupy in life and in thought and in devotion...eusebia gives God the right place, and worships God in the right way."
4. So, when we look at these definitions of the word "Godliness", we see that it involves the right attitude of mind toward God and the right kind of action toward God and divine things.
A. It involves believing God, taking Him at His word that leads to full obedience to Him in whatever He requires.
1) This is what Paul says is profitable!
5. Let us now look to see in what ways godliness is profitable for us today.
I. GODLINESS IS PROFITABLE FOR ALL.
A. For all races. Rom. 1:14,16; 2:11; Acts 10:34,35; Gal. 3;26-29.
B. For all ages.
1. The young. Eccl. 12:1; Matt. 19:14; 2 Tim. 2:22; Eph. 6:1-3; Prov. 10:27; 19:23.
2. Manhood and womanhood. Eph. 5:;25-6:4; 5:;21-24; Titus 2:4,5.
3. The elderly. Prov. 16:31; Jno. 14:23; Phil. 3:10; Psa. 71:18; Isa. 46:4; Psa. 92: 12-14.
4. Every financial condition. 1 Tim. 6:7; Jas. 1:9-11; 2:5; Phil. 4:19; Mt. 6:19-21.
5. Every educational background. 1 Cor. 1:25; 3:19,20.
II. GODLINESS IS PROFITABLE IN ALL WAYS.
A. Physically. Prov. 3:2; 9:11; 1 Pet. 4:3,4; 1 Cor. 6:18-20; Rom. 12:1.
B. Mentally. Matt. 15:19,20; Eph. 4:17-24; Phil. 4:8,13; Heb. 5:14; 2 Cor. 4:16.
C. Emotionally. Jno. 14:;1.
1. Jesus can eliminate the guilty conscience. Heb. 4:14-16; 1 Jno. 1:7-9.
2. Godliness can eliminate worry from our minds. Phil. 4:6,7; Matt. 6:31,34; 1 Jno. 5:4.
D. Spiritually. Matt. 4:4; Jno. 10:10.
III.GODLINESS IS PROFITABLE AT ALL TIMES.
A. Everyday living in this present life. 1 Tim. 4:8; Neh. 8:10; Phil. 4:6,7; Heb. 13:5,6; Phil. 4:11-13,19.
B. The life to come. 2 Pet. 3:11-13; 1 Pet. 1:4,5; 2 Tim. 4:8.
Yes, Godliness is very profitable in every way. Are you a Godly person?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /