THE CHRISTIAN AND HIS OR HER GIVING
1. The Bible begins and ends with giving.
A. In the beginning man was made in the image and likeness of God.
B. Man was given a fleshly body and an eternal soul.
C. Man was given dominion over all the other living creatures upon the earth. Gen. 1,2
D. In the end or final book of the Bible we find depicted an eternal abode prepared for the faithful. Rev. 21,22.
I. EXAMPLES OF GIVING FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT:
A. GOD. Made physical and spiritual preparations for man even before He created man.
1. Every good and perfect gift comes from God. Jas. 1:17.
2. The scheme of redemption, including His Son, the Seed of woman. Gen. 3:15.
B. ABRAHAM. Gave up his home in Ur of the Chaldees. Gave a tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek. Gave the first choice of land to Lot his nephew. Gave his promised son to God.
C. MOSES. Gave up his Egyptian royalty in order to suffer with the people of God. Heb. 11:24-26.
D. THE ISRAELITES. Were required to give a tenth of their possessions to the Lord each year. They also gave many free-will offerings over and beyond their requirements. Lev. 27:30-32.
II. EXAMPLES OF GIVING FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT:
A. CHRIST. Gave up His home in heaven. Jno. 17:5; Phil. 2:5-8. Gave up His life upon the cross. Jno. 10:17,18; Acts 20:35.
B. THE POOR WIDOW. Mk. 12:41-44.
C. EARLY CHRISTIANS. Acts 4:32-37; 5:1-11.
III. CHRISTIANS ARE STEWARDS OF THAT WHICH BELONGS TO GOD. 1 Cor. 4: 1,2.
A. God is the sole Owner of everything. Psa. 24:1,2.
B. He has allotted blessings to each and everyone. Matt. 25:14-30; Eph. 1:3.
IV. A CHRISTIAN'S MANNER OF GIVING:
A. First, give themselves. 2 Cor. 8:5.
B. Give regularly. 1 Cor. 16:1,2.
C. Give willingly. 2 Cor. 8:11,12.
D. With purpose or preparation. 2 Cor. 9:7.
1. One is to make preparations before hand in order to be able to give as he has prospered.
2. A man is responsible for working and furnishing the needs of his family. 1 Tim. 5: 8; 2 Thes. 3:7-12.
a. He cannot sit around waiting for a special job to turn up.
b. He must realize that he needs to be working at something at all times in order to supply the needs of his family.
3. He also is responsible for working with his hands so that he might be able to help the needy and give to the Lord. Eph. 4:28. . Give proportionately or as one has prospered. 1 Cor. 16:2.
V. SHOULD CHRISTIANS GIVE A TITHE OR TENTH TO THE LORD? 2 Cor. 8:2-5.
VI. A CHRISTIAN'S ATTITUDE TOWARD POSSESSIONS. Lk. 12:15; 1 Tim. 6:6-11.
VII. WILL A MAN ROB GOD? Mal. 3:8-10.
1. Are you pleased with the way you are giving to the Lord as a Christian?
2. Is the Lord pleased with your giving? If He is not then you are in trouble.
3. Why not stop and count your many blessings right now and begin to give accordingly?
4. Would you be willing to let the Lord bless you according to your giving?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /