FISHING FOR MEN
1. Jesus proclaimed his kingdom and prepared men to proclaim his kingdom (Matt. 4:17-22).
2. The work of saving souls is twofold today: proclaiming the kingdom & preparing men to proclaim the kingdom.
3. Wherever the gospel goes until the end of time, both phases of the work are imperative!
I. The New Testament Pattern of Fishing for Men
A. Jesus Set the Pattern in His Ministry.
1. Matt. 4:12-17, 23-25 From the beginning of his work, Jesus prepared for the gospel to go into all the world.
2. Matt. 4:17 His own preaching introduced the gospel of the kingdom, the good news of salvation.
3. Matt. 4:18-22 He immediately began to train men to spread the gospel and to continue this work into the future.
B. Matt. 28:18-20 The Great Commission Confirms the Pattern.
1. The Apostles must preach and teach to make disciples, followers of Christ. Men must learn the necessity of baptism
in order to receive salvation as followers of Christ.
2. Disciples of Christ must continue to learn all things he commanded, including the command to go and teach others to follow Christ.
We learn to become fishers of men and train others to become fishers of men until the end of time!
C. The Apostles Followed the Pattern Given by Jesus.
1. Acts 1:8 The testimony of the Apostles regarding salvation in the resurrected Christ was destined to spread throughout the world.
2. Acts 8:1-4 The first converts to Jesus in Jerusalem were taught to be fishers of men.
3. Saul of Tarsus followed the pattern.
a. Acts 9:1-2, 18-22 After his conversion, Paul began fishing for men.
b. Acts 16:1-3 Paul trained Timothy to fish for men.
D. This Pattern Must Be Perpetuated to the End of Time.
1. 2 Tim. 2:2 As Paul trained Timothy, he must train men to train men.
2. 1 Pet. 3:15 Peter taught saints to be fishers of men.
3. 2 Pet. 1:12-15 What Peter taught must be taught in all future generations.
II. Fishing for Men Today
A. We Today Must Follow the Pattern Set by Jesus at the Beginning of His Ministry.
1. Rom. 1:14-17; 10:1-3, 14 We must become determined, prayerful, persistent, zealous fishers of men!
2. 2 Tim. 2:1-3 We must be strong, determined, & sacrificial in motivating & training others to become fishers of men!
B. Every Christian Must Find His Talent & Role, & Do His Part!
1. Eph. 4:16 Every part contributes to the health, growth, & function of the body.
2. Num. 13:30-31 "We are well able" if we act by faith in God. Look for opportunities, means, & methods, not excuses.
3. Isa. 6:8 Let us say with Isaiah, "Here am I; send me."
1. Let us pray for God's help & press forward by faith in Him. Jesus came "to seek and to save that which was lost" (Lk. 19:10), & he has made his people a part of that great work.
2. If you are not a faithful Christian, you are lost & you are hindering others from being saved. Jesus said, "He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad"(Matt.12:30).
a. Christ calls the unfaithful Christian to repent & return to his first love.
b. Christ calls the sinner in the world to repent & obey the gospel (Acts 3:19).
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /