WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO GOD'S WILL.
1. Everyone has some type of influence over others.
2. That influence may be for good or it may be for evil.
3. Let us be careful to encourage everybody to do God's will.
I. IT IS POSSIBLE TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DISOBEY GOD.
A. Satan encouraged Eve to disobey God and he was successful in doing so. Gen. 3:1-7.
B. Satan tried to encourage Jesus to disobey God. He did not succeed. Mt. 4:1-11.
C. Satan will also try to encourage us to disobey because that is his business. 2 Cor. 11:3; 1 Pet. 5:8.
D. Satan uses sinners to encourage others to sin.
1. Eve sinned and encouraged Adam to sin and he did. Gen. 3:1-7; 1 Tim. 2:14.
2. Israel encouraged Moses and Aaron to sin. Num. 20:1-13; Exo. 32:1; Deut. 3:26; 1:37.
3. Jesus said occasion of stumbling would come. Lk. 17:1,2.
4. Evil companionship will cause disobedience. 1 Cor. 15:33
II. IT IS POSSIBLE TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DO GOD'S WILL.
A. Moses told Israel to encourage Joshua. Deut. 1:38.
B. God told Moses to encourage Joshua and he did encourage him. Deut. 3:23-28; 31:7,8.
C. God told Joshua to be strong and of good courage. Joshua in turn encouraged Israel. Israel also encouraged Joshua. Josh. 1:6-18.
D. David told Solomon to be strong and of good courage. 1 Chron. 22:6-16; 28:20.
E. King Josiah encouraged the priests to serve Jehovah by rebuilding the temple. 2 Kgs. 22:3-7.
F. Every Christian can encourage others to do God's will.
1. "Brighten the corner where you are." "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine." Mt. 5:13-16.
2. Husbands and wives can encourage one another. 1 Pet. 3:1-7.
3. Parents should encourage their children. Eph. 6:4; Col. 3:21; Deut. 6:7; Prov. 22:6.
4. Christians encourage one another. Heb. 10:19-31.
5. Preachers encourage Christians. 1 Thes. 2:10-12; 2 Thes. 3:7; 1 Tim. 4:6-16.
6. Christians should encourage preachers. Eph. 6:18,19; Col. 4:3; 2 Thes. 3:1.
7. Preachers can encourage other preachers. 2 Cor. 2:12,13; 7:5,6.
8. All Christians should encourage the people of the world to accept the Savior's invitation. Mt. 11:28-30.
III. WE MAY ENCOURAGE BY:
A. Words fitly spoken. Prov. 25:11; 15:23.
B. Right attitude toward them. Have we already given up before we start sometimes?
C. Being a good example. 1 Tim. 4:12; Titus 2:7,8.
D. Helping others all we can in every way we can. Gal. 6:1-10.
IV. RESULTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT:
A. We are able to do more. Acts 18:5-11.
B. We can walk closer to one another and to God, thereby doing a much greater work.
1. Satan has a wedge-shaped tool that he uses possibly more than any other.
2. This wedge-shaped tool is used to pry open, whereby he might gain entrance.
3. This wedge-shaped tool is named "discouragement".
4. Can I please, at this time, encourage you to obey the Lord?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines Page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /