THE ELEMENTS OF THE GOSPEL.
2 Cor. 4:1-6.
1. We usually consider a thing by the constituent parts, or elements that make it up.
2. So, we want to look at the gospel in the same way.
I. DEFINITION OF GOSPEL: Good news or tidings. Glad tidings. Lk. 2:10; Acts 13:32,33; Lk. 7:22; Rom. 10: 15,16.
II. WHY IS IT CALLED THE GLORIOUS GOSPEL? 2 Cor. 4:4 KJV.
A. Because it originated with God and not man. Gal. 1:11,12.
B. Because the spirit of it is love. Rom. 5:8-10.
C. Because its object is to save. Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 1:21; 15:1,2; Jas. 1:21.
D. Because of its scope and extent. To all men. "The Gospel is For All". Titus 2:11,12; Rom. 1:16; Mt. 24:14; Mk. 16:15; Col. 1:23.
III. THE NECESSITY OF PREACHING THE GOSPEL.
A. Men must call upon the Lord in every place in order to be saved. 1 Cor. 1:2.
1. But how can they call upon Him of whom they have not heard? Rom. 10:8-18.
B. Paul said that necessity was laid upon him to preach the gospel. 1 Cor. 9:16.
C. It is the power of God unto salvation. Rom. 10:17; 1:16.
D. It makes one wise unto salvation. 2 Tim. 3:15-17.
IV. THE ELEMENTS OF THE GOSPEL CONSIST OF:
A. Truths - Facts - Things certain - Things done. That we must accept and believe.
1. God is: Heb. 11:6.
2. He rewards those that seek Him. Heb. 11:6.
3. That Christ is God's Son. Jno. 3:16.
4. That Christ died for our sins. 1 Cor. 15:1-4.
5. That He arose from the dead the third day.
B. Then there are commands that must be obeyed.
1. Believe in Christ. 1 Jno. 3:23; Jno. 8:24.
2. Repent of our sins. Lk. 13:3; Acts 17:30.
3. Confess that Christ is God's Son. Mt. 10:32,33; Rom. 10:9,10.
4. Be baptized for remission of sins. Acts 2:38; 10:47,48; 22:16.
C. Then there are promises to enjoy.
1. The remission of sins. Acts 2:38.
2. The gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38.
3. Eternal life. 1 Jno. 2:25; 5:11.
4. Partakers of divine nature. 2 Pet. 1:1-4.
1. The elements of the gospel are designed to bring about our eternal salvation.
2. But this salvation is based upon conditions to be met by us.
3. Have you met the conditions of the gospel in order to be saved?
4. If not, why not now?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to Sermon Outlines
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /