HOW TO DESTROY OR
TEAR DOWN THE CHURCH
1. Paul warns about destroying the church in I Corinthians 3:17, "If any man destroyeth the temple of
God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, and such are ye." (ASV)
(1) The divisions and contentions as were going on in the church at Corinth were defiling the
temple of God -- I Cor. 3: 1 - 4
(2) He who destroys the love and fellowship of brethren destroys the church.
2. To bring into the church anything that is not authorized will destroy the church.
3. To allow people to live sinful lives will destroy the church -- I Cor. 5: 1- 5
4. Christians who fail to do their duty will destroy the church -- Rev. 3: 14 - 16
5. Let us study some things that will destroy a local congregation:
I. THE CHURCH IS BEING DESTROYED WHEN MEMBERS WON'T COME.
1. We are warned not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together -- Heb. 10:25
2. Church attendance is essential to the proper functioning of the local congregation:
(1) The worship
(2) The work
(3) The Bible study
3. When members don't attend the Bible study period they are tearing down the work and growth
of the church.
(1) Every member needs growth and spiritual development -- Matt. 28:20; I Pet. 2:2; 2 Tim. 2:15
4. You tear down the church when you don't attend mid-week Bible study.
5. You tear down the church when you don't come on Sunday night.
6. Church attendance is essential to one's influence -- Phil. 2:15; Matt. 5: 13, 16
(1) The church wields a tremendous influence in the world.
(2) The church goer is respected above the non-church goer.
(3) The person who does not attend regularly, by his example, is influencing his friends, his
children, and sinners of the world to stay away from church services.
7. If I were a teacher and did not attend the services regularly, I would give up my class because one
cannot teach what he does not practice.
II. YOU TEAR DOWN THE CHURCH WHEN YOU DON'T GIVE.
1. You tear down the church when you contribute only a little that is "left-over".
2. Many treat what is God's like they do their dog -- they give Him the "left-overs".
3. God must come FIRST -- Matt. 6:33
4. Our giving should be a sacrifice -- Heb. 13:16
5. How can the gospel be supported if I don't give -- I Tim. 3:15
6. A failure to give indicates many things:
(1) Rebellion toward God -- I Cor. 16: 1 - 2; II Cor. 9:7
(2) Religiously lopsided -- have obeyed some commands, but not the one on giving.
(3) A lack of faith -- James 2: 14 - 17
(4) One loves money -- I Tim. 6:10
(5) One is a poor investor -- Matt. 6: 19 - 20; I Tim. 6: 17 - 19
III. YOU TEAR DOWN THE CHURCH WHEN YOU DON'T "TALK IT UP".
1. All many people can do is "talk it down":
(1) Talk about the preacher.
(2) Talk about the elders.
(3) Talk about the brethren that take the lead.
(4) Run down all the members.
(5) Talk about what the church is not doing.
2. These people never invite anybody to the services, or do any personal work.
3. These same people wonder why the church is not growing.
IV. ONE TEARS DOWN THE CHURCH WHEN HE OR SHE DOESN'T WORK.
1. There is work in the kingdom for all to do -- I Cor. 15:58
2. We all need to be inviting people to the services of the church.
3. We all need to be teaching according to our ability -- Heb. 5: 12 - 14
4. Eph. 2:10
V. WE TEAR DOWN THE CHURCH WHEN WE DON'T STUDY.
1. 2 Tim. 2:15
2. Heb. 5: 12 - 14
3. I Cor. 3:1 - 3
VI. WE TEAR DOWN THE CHURCH WHEN WE DON'T LOVE IT.
1. Christ loved it and gave Himself for it -- Eph. 5:25
2. As Christians we are to love it -- I Pet. 2:17
3. We will work and sacrifice for that which we love.
4. We are not going to destroy that which we love.
1. Have your actions been destroying or building up the church???
Sermon by Donald Townsley
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /