1. Today there is a great concern about boys and girls dropping out of school before they finish.
2. There are millions being spent to correct this problem.
3. This is a vital problem and we must be concerned about it.
4. But the problem of dropouts is not limited to our schools.
5. The Lord's church is having a dropout problem of its own.
6. Someone has said we lose 50 percent of our new members every 7 years.
7. I don't know whether this is true or not, but, we do lose a lot of them.
8. Why do men leave God, and drop out of His service?
9. What causes someone to become a spiritual dropout?
10. Contrary to popular belief, the Bible teaches a man can drop out, or fall away from grace. Gal. 5:4.
11. Peter tells us that the "latter end is worse than the first." 2 Pet. 2:20.
12. The Hebrew writer says that some were, "departing from the living God." Heb. 3: 12.
13. James speaks of people being in error and then being converted from the error of his ways. Jas. 5:17-20.
14. In every era of history, men have dropped out:
A. Eve, was deceived by Satan. Gen. 3.
B. Israel, wandered 40 years in the wilderness. Exo. 16:35.
C. Demas forsook Paul. 2 Tim. 4:10.
D. We too can be drop outs. Gal. 5:4; 1 Cor. 10:12.
15. Let's notice some reasons why men leave God, or become spiritual dropouts:
I. THEY FAIL TO COUNT THE COST.
A. Before conversion, they fail to take the cost into account. Lk. 14:25-35.
1. They fail to consider, "denying themselves." Matt. 16:24; Lk. 9:23.
2. They fail to realize that 99.44% won't do.
II. THEY FAIL TO LISTEN TO GOD'S MESSENGERS.
A. Read: Jer. 7:25-28; 2 Tim. 4:1-6.
III. THEY FAIL TO DEVELOP VIRTUES OF A CHRISTIAN.
A. Read: 2 Pet. 1:5-11.
IV. THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF WRONG ASSOCIATION.
A. This was Solomon's problem. 1 Kgs. 11:1-13.
B. It can also be our proplem. 1 Cor. 15:33.
V. THEY FAIL TO BE LED BY THE WORD OF GOD.
A. They continue in their ignorance. Acts 17:11; 2 Tim. 2:15; Hos. 4:6.
VI. THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF THE DEMANDS OF THIS LIFE.
A. Consider the parable of the sower and the soils. Lk. 8:9-14.
VII. THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF THE DESIRE TO BE RICH AND TO HOLD ON TO THEIR RICHES. Matt. 19:16-22.
A. Paul warns against such. 1 Tim. 6:6-10, 17-19.
B. John also warns about worldly desires. 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
VIII. THEY FAIL BECAUSE SIN IS SO DECEITFUL.
A. Read: Heb. 3:12,13.
IX. THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF FALSE DOCTRINE.
A. Read: 1 Tim. 4:1-4; Acts 20:28-31.
X. THEY FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE SET IN THEIR OWN WAYS.
A. Read: Prov. 14:14; 1:30-33.
XI. THEY LOSE THEIR LOVE FOR GOD.
A. Read: Jno. 14:15; Rev. 2:4; Matt. 24:12.
XII. THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF IN-ACTIVITY AND COMPLACENCY.
A. Read: Jas. 2:14-26.
1. Are you a spiritual dropout?
2. If you are, the Bible tells you how to come back.
A. Repent and return: Acts 8:18-24; Lk. 13:3; Jer. 3:22.
3. There is no better time than right now to get right with God. Won't you come now?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /