THERE THEY CRUCIFIED HIM
Lk. 23:26-49; Isa. 53.
1. Countless millions had died before this.
2. But when we consider who it was that died and what caused His death, Christ's death, we have these words: "There they crucified Him."
3. Though these words are brief, they describe His death. Lk. 23:33.
A. The name of the place:
1. Golgotha, is from a Hebrew word meaning "skull".
2. Calvary, is the Greek and Latin equivalent.
3. The place is so-called either from the form of the hill, or from skulls there as the place of execution.
B. It was a shameful place.
1. Between two notorious thieves.
2. He could have possibly been placed a little higher than the other two.
3. All of this to intimate that He was vilest of all.
C. It was a conspicuous place.
1. It was near the city and possible close to a road upon which there was much traveling. Jno. 19:19,20.
2. Value was attached to publicity, executions, highways and elevated squares were selected for the place.
D. It was a solitary place.
1. Though surrounded by people He was lonely.
2. Betrayed, denied, forsaken by friends, God seemed so far off. Matt. 27:46.
E. It was an appropriate place--without the gates of the city.
1. When a person was stoned, they would take him outside of the city to do so. Acts 7:58.
2. Bodies of beasts whose blood was brought into the Holy Place, were burned outside the city. Exo. 29:14.
3. Christ, like a sacrificial victim, suffered without the gate.
A. The Jews:
1. They planned it and demanded it.
2. They did not do the actual deed, but it was done to please them.
3. They were murderers in heart, not in deed. They hated Him therefore they were murderers in heart. 1 Jno. 3:15; Acts 2:22,23.
B. The Roman Soldiers:
1. Led Him to the spot, they drove the spikes.
2. They were murderers in deed, but not in heart.
3. The Lord prayed for them also. lk. 23:33,34.
C. He was crucified by all for whose sins He died:
1. It was our sins that nailed Him to the cross. 1 Cor. 15:3.
2. They that know His will and will not obey it are crucifying him afresh. Heb. 6:4-8; 10:17-31.
A. One can read an account of the crucifixion and what it entailed in any good Bible Dictionary.
A. He was their Saviour.
1. He was harmful to no one, He went about doing good and healing all manners of diseases. Acts 10:38.
2. He spoke words of kindness.
3. Performed miracles of mercy, even to raising the dead.
B. He was the sinless one.
1 Pilate said he was, "A just person." Pilate's wife said He was "A just man." Judas said he had betrayed "innocent blood." Read what Peter said about Him: 1 Pet. 2:21-25.
C. He is the Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world. Jno. 1:29.
D. He is the resurrection and the life; the grave could not hold Him.
E. When we, as Christians, partake of the Lord's Supper, we show forth His death and suffering until He comes again.
V. WHY DID HE DIE?
A. Not just because of the hatred of the Jews -- even though they did hate Him. Jno. 15:25.
B. Not just to fulfill prophecy -- even though it did. Matt. 26:54.
C. Not just because He was willing -- though certainly He was.
D. It was God's will.
E. Why was it God's will?
F. Because of the grave seriousness of sin, and the undone condition of mankind.
G. It took the precious Son of God and the Son's precious blood to pay the great penalty for man's sin and to justify man in the sight of God.
H. Christ died that the penalty might be paid. Jno. 3:16.
I. To benefit from the crucifixion of our Savior, we must obey Him. Heb. 5:9.
J. If we consider sin as a small thing, by that same token we are belittling the Savior and His blood.
K. Truly, we need to "Survey the Wonderous Cross, On Which The Prince of Glory Died."
1. We should ever keep it in our mind and our heart.
Yes, on a hill far away stood an old rugged cross the emblem of suffering and shame. He died for us there. Won't we live for Him here? May God bless you to take advantage of what He has done for you.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /