CONFORMED -- INFORMED -- TRANSFORMED.
1. Our lives are ever evolving or changing even though we do not believe in the theory of organic evolution as is taugh by pseudo-scientists.
2. Yes, our lives are in a constant state of flux, from the cradle to the grave, ever changing from one stage to another.
3. If we have a normal physical life, as the majority of people do, we will enter this life in the infantile state.
A. From there we will progress to the status of a juvenile.
1) From the juvenile to young adults.
2) From young adults to middle age.
3) From middle age to old age.
4. If our lives follow the usual normal pattern, along with our physical progress and changes will come a continuous change mentally.
5. But even if through the grace and mercy of God we attain to maturity both physically and mentally , this is not all that God requires of us. Eccl. 12:1-7, 13,14.
A. We must also develop and mature spiritually.
B. Such spiritual growth and development is taught in many places in the Bible.
1 Pet. 2:2; 2 Pet. 3:18; 1 Cor. 3:1,2; Heb. 5:13,14.
6. So, in our lesson for today, we want to depict some changes and transitions that are to take place in our spiritual lives.
A. In depicting this, we hope to establish that there is to be a world of difference between the world and Christianity.
A. This word comes from the Greek word "summorphizo" and means "to make of like form with another person or thing, to render like", "sun=with", "morphe=form".
1. The same idea is found in the word "fashion" or as the Greek puts it, "schema".
B. Webster says it means, "to be or act in harmony or agreement."
1. He gives as synonyms the words, "adapt and agree."
C. Actually, the word "conformed" is found only 3 times in the Bible.
1. But the words "form" and "fashion" are found many times.
D. The word "conform" may be used in either a good or a bad way.
1. The primary way we will be using it today in our lesson, is in the evil or bad sense; to conform to this present world.
2. Such evil conformity is used in Rom. 12;2; Eph. 2:2 and 1 Pet. 1:13,14.
3. We are not to be conformed to this world nor to the things of this world. 1 Jno. 2: 15-17.
A. The word "informed" means to "manifest, to make known, to teach, to show, to signify."
1. In order for one to become "unconformed" to this present world, he must first be "informed" as to the requirements of God. Matt. 28:18-20; Mk. 16:15,16; Jno. 10:13-17; Acts 11:13,14.
2. In all cases of conversion, that we find in the Book of Acts, we see that teaching the word of God is the first thing to be done.
3. So, one must be thoroughly "informed" before he can be "unconformed" by being "transformed."
A. The word "transform" means to "fashion anew", to change over or across."
1. The people on Pentecost were "conformed" to the world, but they heard Peter's preaching, they were "informed" , they believed and obeyed the information given, therefore they became "transformed" or "unconformed" by being baptized into Christ. Rom. 6:4.
B. A person in the world (conformed to the world) hears the word of God (is thereby "informed"), and obeys from the heart the doctrine taught, (is transformed) and is thereby translated from the power of darkness into the kingdom of the Son of God's love. Rom. 6:15-18; Col. 1:13.
1. By this method, one becomes a new creature in Christ. 2 Cor. 5:17.
1. A person that has been living as the world lives, in conformity, harmony, and agreement with the world, must be informed of God's wishes for him, then he must act upon this information, be transformed from his old manner of life, to walk in newness of life. 1 Cor. 6:9-11.
2. Once this is done, there is to be a world of difference between what a person was before and what he is now.
3. Are you makeing the spiritual changes that God requires of all men? Deut. 10:12, 13; Mic. 6;8.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /