• What Makes Christianity Great?
• It all comes down to how we feel and think about it, and the choices we
• Some people are under the impression that Christianity is a religion for
losers (Ted turner).
• Religion is the opiate of the masses (Karl Marx).
• Christians are called many things and most descriptions disparage them
and most of them are seen in a negative view.
• Others say that with Christianity comes burdensome rules, boring times,
and bad experience.
• Those who hold such ideas evidently have never tasted the graciousness
of the Lord.
• 1 Peter 2:3 “If you have tasted the kindness of the Lord”.
• The commandments of the Lord are never burdensome, but a blessing .
• 1 John 5:3 “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments;
and his commandments are not burdensome”.
• It is a bad world, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the
midst of it a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have
found a joy which is a thousand times better than any of the pleasures of our
sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They are masters
of their souls. They have overcome the world. These people, are Christians…and
I am one of them. (Cyprian, The Bishop of Carthage, 3rd Century)
• Christianity allows people to live out the purpose for which they were
created—to glorify God.
• Isaiah 43:7 ”Everyone who is called by My name, and whom I have
created for My glory, whom I have formed, even whom I have made”.
• Therefore, satisfaction results as the child of God carries out the mission
for which he was made.
• 1 Corinthians 10:31 “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever
you do, do all to the glory of God”.
• The Christian experience is one of:
• Newness 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man is in Christ, he
is a new creature; the told things passed away; behold, new things have come”.
• Busyness 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be
steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your
toil is not in vain in the Lord”.
• and Peacefulness Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which surpasses
all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus”.
• Christianity is great for so many reasons. Here are a few…
• A Savior
• Christianity offers man an answer to his sin problem (Romans 3:23 ).
• Jesus was born into this world to “save his people from their sins”
(Matthew 1:21 ).
• He is the “savior of all men, especially of those who believe”
(1 Timothy 4:10 ).
• Therefore, through the Gospel of Jesus Christ, god supplies man with the
necessary power to be what he otherwise could not—saved (Romans 1:16).
• Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift
(2 Corinthians 9:15 ), the Savior Jesus Christ.
• A Family
• Every born again person (John 3:3,5,7) becomes a child of God (1 John
• With that exalted status come membership in the family of God, the household
of faith (1 Timothy 3:15).
• The greatest support group in the world is the church of our Lord (Hebrews
• A Purpose
• As already discussed, the Christian, through Christ, and as a member of
the church, has opportunity to live out the true meaning for his life, which is
to glorify God (Ephesians 3:21 ).
• The Christian can wake up in the morning knowing what he is on earth to
do (1 Corinthians 1:31 ).
• And by doing it, he enjoys great security (Matthew 6:33 ; Philippians
4:19 ) and peace (John 14:27 ).
• A Mission
• The Christian’s mission is three-fold.
• First, he realizes the importance of preaching the gospel to the lost
(Matthew 28:19 ; Mark 16:15).
• Second, he knows how important it is for him to edify his brothers and
• Therefore, he loves, encourages, visits, cares for and helps them in any
way that he can (Galatians 6:2 ).
• Third, he knows and sees the need for good works (Titus 3:1,8,14 ).
• Benevolent acts allow him to let his light shine (Matthew 5:16 ).
• A Destiny
• The Christian knows that a place has been prepared for him (John 14:1-3).
• The life he leads is referred to as “eternal” (1 John 5:13
) or “everlasting” (Romans 6:22).
• Heaven is his true home (Philippians 3:20); and he knows that one day
he will dwell there forever and forever.
• A Savior; A Family; A Purpose; A Mission; and a Destiny.
• With such knowledge we are prepared for whatever life brings our way.
• But it is still up to us to choose this life.
• The Bible tells us if we choose this life, we will have the greatest of
all blessings: eternal life.
• If we choose to ignore the Bible; it will be bad.
• What is your choice?
By Carey Scott from an article by Bill Burk
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me