THE CHASTISEMENT OF OUR PEACE
1. Definition as it is used in this passage=punishment.
2. Peace comes after the price for sin, the punishment, is paid.
3. God is offended by sin.
4. Punishment is required and final.
5. I feel inadequate to present this lesson as it should be presented.
I. SIN MUST BE PUNISHED.
A. Hab. 1:3-14. The Chaldeans were raised up to punish Judah for her sins.
II. WHY MUST SIN BE PUNISHED?
A. God is all good and cannot tolerate sinful man.
B. The gods of man's making accept men in their sins.
1. But the God who made man will not accept man and his sins.
III. WHAT IS THE PUNISHMENT FOR SIN?
A. Read the following scriptures: Gen. 2:17; 3:1-4; Rom. 6:23; 2 Thes. 1:7-9; 1 Tim. 5:6; Eph. 2:1-10; Deut. 30:15-20.
1. Sin brings about separation from God. Isa. 59:1,2. Spiritual death.
2. Animation of the body continues for a while.
3. Kill a chicken by wringing its neck. even though the body is separated from the head, the body keeps jumping around and kicking for a while not realizing that it is dead.
4. Sinners, with animated bodies, are somewhat like the chicken.
B. Jesus Christ was punished for our sins, not His. Matt. 27:46; Jno. 19:34-37; Zech. 12:10; Psa. 22; 1 Pet. 2:22-24; 2 Cor. 5:21.
1. I cannot die as punishment for my own sin for I am a sinner. Rom. 3:23.
IV. HOW DOES HIS PUNISHMENT OR CHASTISEMENT FOR MY SIN HAVE AFFECT ON ME?
A. In my being one with Christ. Jno. 17:20-23.
1. 1 Jno. 4:17;1 Pet. 1:15,16.
2. He was totally set apart for the service of His Father. Jno. 6:38.
V. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO HELP IN THIS MATTER OF PUNISHMENT?
A. I too must be totally set apart, sanctified for the Master's use. 2 Tim 2:21; 2 Thes. 2:13; Heb. 10:10.
1. Am I this dedicated to the Lord?
2. Such dedication would identify me with the Lord.
3. Not a matter of beliefism, churchism, or goodism.
4. Attendance is very important, but attendance, in and of itself, does not indicate total sanctification or identity with Christ.
5. Isa. 64:6.
6. Fallen leaves can be beautiful and made into beautiful arrangements that serve a purpose. But they are dead, separated from thier source of life.
B. Rom. 7:1-6; Gal. 5:4; Jno. 15:1-8.
1. If Christ took punishment for sin, and I am totally sanctified and identified with His body, I too am punished as a part of His body. 1 Cor. 3:23; Heb. 2:;9-11; 1 Cor. 10:1-5; Gal. 6:17; Rom. 6:1-11; 2 Cor. 13:4,5; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 1:1-14; Rom. 8:1 1 Cor. 12:13.
Note: Most of this sermon was taken from a sermon that I heard Dale Smelser preach several years ago.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outline page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /