• “By Your Words”
• You Will Be Justified Or You Will Be Condemned
• Matthew 12:34-37
• “You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good?
For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. The good man out of his
good treasure brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of his evil treasure
brings forth what is evil. And I say to you, that every careless word that men
shall speak, they shall render account for it in the day of judgment. For by your
words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned”.
• Our words have meaning.
• Most of the time, our words reflect what is in our heart (mind).
• Jesus tells us that our words come from our hearts (minds).
• We shall give account for what we say (and think).
• So let us proceed to examine some things that we should consider as we
speak to others.
• We Must Speak The Truth Of God
• EVERYTHING WHICH WE SPEAK MUST BE IN HARMONY WITH THE TRUTH THAT IS REVEALED
IN THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST!
• 2 Timothy 1:13 …Hold the pattern of sound words which thou hast
heard from me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
• 1 Timothy 4:6 …If thou put the brethren in mind of these things,
thou shalt be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished in the words of the faith,
and of the good doctrine which thou hast followed until now:
• 2 Peter 4:11 “Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances
• WE MUST CHOOSE OUR WORDS WITH GREAT CARE SO THAT ONLY GOOD WILL COME FROM
• Colossians 4:6 …Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with
salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer each one.
• OUR WORDS MUST ORIGINATE FROM THE FOUNDATION OF GOD’S WISDOM AND
NOT FROM HUMAN WISDOM!
• 1 Corinthians 2:4 …And my speech and my preaching were not in persuasive
words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 that your
faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.…13
Which things also we speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but
which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words.
• Ephesisans 4:15 “but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow
up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ”.
• What We Are Not To Speak
• The are many more prohibitions placed upon us of what and how we are to
speak with others.
• Let us notice these.
• WORDS THAT ARE “WICKED”, “HURTFUL”, AND “DEMEANING”
ARE NOT TO COME FROM THE MOUTHS OF CHRISTIANS…
• 3 John 9 …I wrote somewhat unto the church: but Diotrephes, who
loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. 10 Therefore, if
I come, I will bring to remembrance his works which he doeth, prating against
us with wicked words: not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the
brethren, and them that would he forbiddeth and casteth them out of the church.
• WORDS OF GUILE, DECEIT, AND THE “GREAT SWELLING WORDS OF VANITY”
ARE NOT TO BE FOUND IN OUR SPEECH!
• 2 Peter 2:2 …And many shall follow their lascivious doings; by reason
of whom the way of the truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And in covetousness shall
they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose sentence now from of old
lingereth not, and their destruction slumbereth not.…
• 17 These are springs without water, and mists driven by a storm; for whom
the blackness of darkness hath been reserved. 18 For, uttering great swelling
words of vanity, they entice in the lusts of the flesh, by lasciviousness, those
who are just escaping from them that live in error; 19 promising them liberty,
while they themselves are bondservants of corruption; for of whom a man is overcome,
of the same is he also brought into bondage.
• NEITHER ARE OUR WORDS TO BE THOSE OF MURMURERS AND COMPLAINERS…
• Jude 16 …These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their lusts
(and their mouth speaketh great swelling words), showing respect of persons for
the sake of advantage.
• Ephesians 5:6 …Let no man deceive you with empty words: for because
of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Be not
ye therefore partakers with them;
• WORDS THAT GENERATE WRANGLINGS, STRIFE, AND DIVISION, WORDS OF RAILING
AND SUBVERSION AMONG BRETHREN, DO NOT BELONG IN THE VOCABULARY OF THE CHILD OF
• Acts 15:24 …Forasmuch as we have heard that certain who went out
from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls; to whom we gave no
• 2 Timothy 2:14 …Of these things put them in remembrance, charging
them in the sight of the Lord, that they strive not about words, to no profit,
to the subverting of them that hear.
• 1 Timothy 6:3 …If any man teacheth a different doctrine, and consenteth
not to sound words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine
which is according to godliness; 4 he is puffed up, knowing nothing, but doting
about questionings and disputes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings,
evil surmisings, 5 wranglings of men corrupted in mind and bereft of the truth,
supposing that godliness is a way of gain.
• JUST LOOK AT ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE GENERATED BY FALSE WORDS.
• Let’s Get Personal Now
• Up to this point we have discussed words in the relationship of our brethren
or fellow church members.
• Now we will consider our words outside of the church environment, and
how important they are because they reveal who you truly are.
• WORDS THAT REFLECT SEXUAL FILTH, PROFANITY, AND CURSING ARE NOT SPOKEN
BY RIGHTEOUS INDIVIDUALS!
• Ephesians 4:29 …Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth,
but such as is good for edifying as the need may be, that it may give grace to
them that hear.
• Romans 3:13 …Their throat is an open sepulcher; With their tongues
they have used deceit: The poison of asps is under their lips: 14 Whose mouth
is full of cursing and bitterness:
• These are words quoted from the Psalms and they are talking about God’s
people who have turned from Him.
• James 3:8 …But the tongue can no man tame; it is a restless evil,
it is full of deadly poison. 9 Therewith bless we the Lord and Father; and therewith
curse we men, who are made after the likeness of God: 10 out of the same mouth
cometh forth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
• Luke 6:43 …For there is no good tree that bringeth forth corrupt
fruit; nor again a corrupt tree that bringeth forth good fruit. 44 For each tree
is known by its own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble
bush gather they grapes. 45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart
bringeth forth that which is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth
forth that which is evil: for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
• Matthew 15:18 …But the things which proceed out of the mouth come
forth out of the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart come
forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness,
• TELLING LIES IS SIMPLY AN INDICATION THAT WE ARE DISHONEST – WITHOUT
• Colossians 3:8 …but now do ye also put them all away: anger, wrath,
malice, railing, shameful speaking out of your mouth: 9 lie not one to another;
seeing that ye have put off the old man with his doings,
• Ephesians 4:25 …Wherefore, putting away falsehood, speak ye truth
each one with his neighbor: for we are members one of another.
• Who of us does not tell lies?
• Just because everyone else does it should not allow you to think you can
get away with it.
• 1 Timothy 4:1 …But the Spirit saith expressly, that in later times
some shall fall away from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines
of demons, 2 through the hypocrisy of men that speak lies, branded in their own
conscience as with a hot iron;
• These men/women who speak lies are the false teachers who teach doctrines
different from God’s word.
• Galatians 1:6-8 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who
called you by the grace of Christm, for a different gospel; which is really not
another, only there are some who are disturbing you, and want to distort the gospel
of Christ. But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a
gospel contrary to that, which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
• How It Should Be For Each Of Us
• Proverbs 8:6 …Hear, for I will speak excellent things; And the opening
of my lips shall be right things. 7 For my mouth shall utter truth; And wickedness
is an abomination to my lips. 8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness;
There is nothing crooked or perverse in them.
• Psalms 19:14 …Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my
heart Be acceptable in thy sight, O Jehovah, my rock, and my redeemer.
• 1 Corinthians 14:26 …when you assemble, each one has a psalm, has
a teaching, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
• Our words are to teach others.
• Our words are to reflect Christ and what Christ would speak.
• Our words MUST be according to God’s word if we are trying to teach
• Our words can get us into trouble and can keep us out of heaven.
• Choose your words wisely, and consider what to say before you say it.
By Carey Scott from outline by Ron Lehde
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me