Psa. 55:22; 1 Pet. 5:7; Gal. 6:1-5.
1. The value of burdens should be known.
2. God has given us some burdens, Why?
3. If they come from God, they are good burdens. Jas. 1:17.
4. If you have a Topical Bible, read from pages: 1149, 1253, and 407, on matters of burdens.
I. HOW BURDENS HELP US.
A. They develop the best in us.
B. Life is made strong and useful by them.
C. Illustration: Savages wading swift stream with a big rock on their heads.
1. This kept them from being swept away in the rushing waters and also trained them to be able to carry heavy loads of goods across.
D. Young married people are developed by the burden of training their children.
II. THREE KINDS OF BURDENS.
A. Burdens we must bear alone. Gal. 6:5.
1. To choose between right and wrong.
2. The consequences of sin.
3. The burden of death.
4. The burden of eternal judgment.
B. Burdens of others. Gal. 6:2.
1. God expects us to do this. Rom. 15:1.
2. Strengthen each other by prayer.
3. Cooperate with each other in the work of the church.
4. Be sympathetic with the suffering.
5. Comfort the bereaved.
6. Make people glad you are living and they will be sorry when you are dead.
C. Burdens to cast upon the Lord. 1 Pet. 5:;7; Psa. 55:22.
1. Beome acquainted with the Lord.
2. If we bear other's burdens, the Lord will bear ours.
3. "Take it to the Lord in prayer."
4. He only can bear these burdens.
5. It is the sweetest thing of life to place our burdens upon the Lord.
6. We should imitate the camel; kneel down at night to have our burdens removed.
7. "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Yes, there are burdens that come with life. Burdens of our own. Burdens of others. And burdens that we can place upon our Lord. One of the burdens that we must meet and bear is becoming a Christian. Another burden that we must bear is living the Christian life. Why not take up your burdens and follow the Lord beginning today?
by Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /