Intro: Used to be called The Good
A. For Good Reason.
B. When Main Events of Life come our way, we should refer to The Book!
I. When Herod Asked About Christ.
A. Mt. 2
B. Prophecy in The Book.
C. "Of Whom Speaketh The Prophet This?"
* The Messiah’s Profile:
That He would be born of a Virgin. (Matthew 1:23; Isa. 7:14)
To be born in Bethleham (Matthew 2:5-6; Micah 5:2)
To be called a Nazarene (Matthew 2:23)
To be betrayed by a friend. (John 13:18; Psa 41:9)
That He would die for our transgressions. (Isaiah 53:8)
That He would be raised from the dead. (Isa. 53:10)
That He would be “sold out “ for 30 pieces of silver. (Matthew 26:15; Zec. 11:12)
That His garment would be parted by casting lots. (John 19:23-24; Psa. 22:18)
His bones were not broken. (John 19:36; Psa. 34:20)
A descendent of David. (II Sam. 7:12; Matt. 22:43-44)
Called the Son of God. (Psa. 2:7; Matt. 16:16-18)
D. Proof of:
2. God (A Son of God without God?)
3. Scripture (A Prophecy without the Word of God?)
II. When Josiah Wondered About Judah's
A. II Kings 22
B. Tenderness to the Tender in The Book. Vss 16-20
C. Mordecai - Esther 6:1-14
D. If faithful to God (as with others), you will find a place.
III. When Jesus Foretold His Mission.
A. Luke 4:16-30
B. A price to pay for standing for The Book.
C. Main events happen to Somebody, Somewhere, Sometime.
1. A Main Event for Mankind was happening among the Nazarenes.
2. Spiritual Life-changing events happen to Everybody.
3. Where & When will they happen to you?
IV. When Nehemiah Set Out To Restore.
A. Nehemiah 8:1
B. We find Doctrine & Practice in The Book. vs 8
1. Assembly 8:18
2. Tithing 13:10-12
3. Marriage 13:23-30
D. “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” 2 Tim. 3:16-17
1. “And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.” 1 Cor. 4:6
2. Acts 2:42
3. “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:” Acts 15:24
4. “This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:” 2 Pet. 3:1-2
E. If we are to restore our lives & the Church we must refer to The Book!
V. When God Will Judge Every Soul.
A. Rev. 20:11-15
B. We will be judged by The Book.
1. "And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books." vs 12
2. “And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.” Rev. 14:13
3. “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” John 12:48
C. A comparison will be made then. We must make comparisons NOW between our thoughts, deeds, & words and The Book.
Conclusion: No wonder that when Granville
Tyler's father engaged in religious discussion with the neighbor, he sent him
home to get "The Book."
A. Have you obeyed the gospel?
B. Are you Living by The Book?
By George Hutto
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /