Matt. 7:15; 2 Pet. 3:17.
1. To BEWARE is used about 26 times in the Bible.
2. To TAKE HEED is used about 70 times in the Bible.
3. To BE WARNED is used about 28 times in the Bible.
4. These, as well as many other words that would carry the same idea, are in the Word of God for a purpose.
5. There are warnings and danger signs throughout the Bible.
6. Certainly, if we can be congnizant of the many warnings and danger signals that we face every day in our physical life, heed them, and thereby save ourselves many physical problems and possibly our lives, surely, we should be more desirous of heeding the spiritual signals that might save our eternal souls.
7. To "BEWARE" is to be on one's guard.
A. There are several synonyms to the word "beware", such as: take care, to refrain, to consider, to take heed, to look, to fear, to avoid, to pay special attention to, to be watchful, to be warned.
B. This reminds me of the sign we see at railroad crossings that tell us to "stop, look, and listen."
8. So, the idea that we are dealing with in this lesson could help us to steer clear of problems that might arise in our lives otherwise.
9. If we heed the "beware" signs that we find in the word of God, we will be able to steer clear of many pitfalls that will be looming before us as we go down life's road.
10. So, let us "BEWARE".
I. OF WHAT SHOULD WE BEWARE?
A. Unbelief. -- Heb. 3:12; 12:1.
B. Leaven of the Pharisees. -- Matt. 16:11.
C. Hypocrisy. -- Lk. 12:1; Matt. 23:23,25,27,29.
D. Covetousness. -- Lk. 12:15; Col. 3:5.
E. Pretense. -- Mk. 12:38; 1 Pet. 3:1-4.
F. Dogs, evil workers. -- Phil. 3:2; Isa. 56:9-12.
G. False teachers. -- Matt. 7:15; 2 Pet. 2:15.
II. WHY SHOULD WE BEWARE? 1 Pet. 3:15; 5:8.
A. Lest we be spoiled. -- Col. 2:8; 2 Pet. 2:2.
B. Lest we be led into error. -- Gal. 2:4.
C. Lest we fall. -- 2 Pet. 3:17.
III. WHO SHOULD BEWARE?
A. Preachers, Teachers. -- Rom. 2:21; 1 Tim. 4:16.
B. The Elders. -- Acts 20:28.
C. All Christians. -- Phil. 1:1; 3:1,2.
IV. HOW CAN WE BEWARE? 2 Tim. 3:16,17; 1 Pet. 1:3.
A. Through Knowledge. -- Hos. 4:6; 2 Pet. 1:3.
B. Take Heed. -- Isa. 34:16; Mk. 8:15; Rom. 10:2.
C. Watch and Pray. -- Mk. 13:33,37; Lk. 14:38; Eph. 6:18; 1 Cor. 16:13.
1. Yes, we need to BEWARE of physical dangers lest we be harmed.
2. But, most of all, we need to BEWARE of spiritual dangers that endanger the soul.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /