"BE THOU AN EXAMPLE"
1 Tim. 4:6-16.
1. Each and everyone of us is an example of some kind to someone, somewhere.
A. It is a compliment to be followed by someone. 1 Cor. 11:1.
2. No one is exempt from being an example. Rom. 14:7.
3. Being an example is one of the best ways to teach any lesson.
4. Mr. Webster says: Example:
1. One or a portion taken to show the character or quality of all; a sample.
2. That which is to be followed or imitated; a pattern.
I. EXAMPLES CAN EITHER BE GOOD OR BAD.
A. The Egyptians were bad examples and were no to be followed by the Israelites; Lev. 18:1-5.
B. The majority sometimes are bad examples to follow; Exo. 23:2; Gen. 6:1-8.
C. Many times our own relatives are bad examples; 2 Chron. 30:7.
1. Sons followed wicked fathers as kings over Israel.
2. Many fathers today are not setting the right example for their children.
a. FATHER'S FOOTSTEPS.
D. Our hearts do not always set the right example. Jer. 16:12.
1. People say: "I will follow the feelings of my heart." Jer. 17:9,10.
E. We are not to follow after evil examples; 3 Jno. 11; Rom. 12:9.
II. BUT WE CAN BE GOOD EXAMPLES AND FOLLOW AFTER GOOD EXAMPLES.
A. Example in Faith. 1 Thes. 1:6-8.
B. Example in Good Works. Titus 2:7,8.
C. Example in Suffering and Patience. Jas. 5:10,11.
D. Christ was a good example for us. 1 Pet. 2:11-25.
E. Elders are to be good examples. 1 Pet. 5:3.
F. Women are to be good examples. 1 Pet. 3:1-6.
G. Parents are to be good examples. Eph. 6:4.
H. Teachers are to be good examples. Rom. 2:21-24; 1 Tim. 2:8-15; Titus 2:1-10; Jas. 3:1
I. Preachers are to be good examples. 1 Tim. 4:12.
III. ALL CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE GOOD EXAMPLES IN:
A. Word. Eph. 4:20; Col. 4:6; 1 Pet. 4:11.
B. In manner of life or conduct. Mt. 5:13-16; 1 Pet. 3:1.
C. Faith. Col. 1:23; 2 Thes. 1:3.
D. Love. Jno. 13:35; 1 Jno. 5:3.
E. Purity. Mt. 5:;8; Jas. 1:27.
IV. THESE GOOD EXAMPLES SHOULD BE SET BEFORE THE BRETHREN, THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.
1. Let us ask ourselves two questions:
A. Am I a good example?
B. If every member were like me, what type of congregation would this one be?
2. If you are a good example now, continue to be one.
3. If your are not a good example now, become one.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /