• Bearing Fruit For God
• Part One
• Matthew 7:15-20
• 15 "Beware of
the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous
wolves.16 "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from
thorn bushes, nor figs from thistles, are they?17 "Even so, every good tree
bears good fruit; but the bad tree bears bad fruit.18 "A good tree cannot
produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.19 "Every tree that
does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.20 "So then,
you will know them by their fruits.
• Principles about fruit used to warn of false prophets.
• The nature of fruit is such that:
• It identifies the plant which bore it - v. 16.
• It has the same nature as the plant bearing it - v. 17-18.
• Corrupt fruit is destroyed - v. 19.
• v. 20 - Used to identify false teachers.
• We are to be bearing fruit -- from the heart:
• Fruit is the visible expression of power working inwardly & invisibly.
• We choose what type of fruit we will produce!
• Romans 7:4 “Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to
the Law through the body of Christ, that you might be joined to another, to Him
who was raised from the dead, that we might bear fruit for God”.
• Romans 6:22 “But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to
God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal
• What Kind Of Fruit Will You Bear?
• We will bear fruit—that is for sure.
• What kind—depends upon each of us.
• Matthew 12:33 "Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or
make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit”.
• SOME TYPES OF FRUIT WE SHOULD BEAR:
• Spiritual Maturity –
• Colossians 1:9-12 “For this reason also, since the day we heard
of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with
the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,10 so that
you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing
fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;11 strengthened
with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness
and patience; joyously12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to
share in the inheritance of the saints in light”.
• Godly Influence & Examples -
• Matthew 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has
become tasteless, how will it be made salty again? It is good for nothing anymore,
except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.14 "You are the light
of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.15 "Nor do men light
a lamp, and put it under the peck-measure, but on the lampstand; and it gives
light to all who are in the house.16 "Let your light shine before men in
such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in
• Philippians 2:14-16 “Do all things without grumbling or disputing;15
that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above
reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear
as lights in the world,16 holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of
Christ I may have cause to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain”.
• 1 Peter 2:11-12 “Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to
abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul.12 Keep your behavior
excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as
evildoers, they may on account of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify
God in the day of visitation”.
• Teaching The Gospel –
• Matthew 9:37-38 “Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest
is plentiful, but the workers are few.38 "Therefore beseech the Lord of the
harvest to send out workers into His harvest."
• 2 Timothy 2:2 “And the things which you have heard from me in the
presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to
teach others also”.
• In The Home –
• Colossians 3:18-21 “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting
in the Lord.19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be embittered against them.20
Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing
to the Lord.21 Fathers, do not exasperate your children, that they may not lose
• Wife - Fruit of subjection (fitting).
• Husband - Fruit of love (not bitterness).
• Children - Fruit of obedience.
• Parents - Fruit of tender care.
• On The Job –
• Colossians 3:22-4:1. “Slaves, in all things obey those who are your
masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but
with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily,
as for the Lord rather than for men;24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive
the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.25 For he
who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and
that without partiality.4:1 Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness,
knowing that you too have a Master in heaven”.
• Employee - Fruit of honest labor.
• Employer - Fruit of justice and fairness.
• Love For Brethren –
• John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples,
if you have love for one another."
• 1 John 3:16-18 “We know love by this, that He laid down His life
for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.17 But whoever has
the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against
him, how does the love of God abide in him?18 Little children, let us not love
with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
• Obedience To Christ –
• Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter
the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven”.
• John 15:10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love;
just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love”.
• John 15:14 "You are My friends, if you do what I command you”.
• We are going to bear fruit—we cannot escape this—this also
means you cannot be neutral in this matter.
• Either good or evil, is how you are going to be viewed by others.
• We must look at our tree (self) and see what kind of fruit is produced.
• Change if necessary.
By Carey from an outline by Joe R. Price
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me