PRODUCING FRUIT FOR GOD
1. Several times Jesus uses the concept of planting, growing and harvesting to teach spiritual lessons.
a) The sower
b) The tares in the wheat
c) The mustard seed
d) The fig tree
e) The fig tree without fruit.
f) The secret of growing crops
g) The fields are white unto harvest
2. We have all planted flowers, vegetables, and lawns.
3. What lessons can we learn from this process and apply it to producing fruit for Christ?
I. PREPARING THE SOIL
A. Actual soil
1. Typically one can not simply throw seed onto the ground and expect it to grow.
2. Soil may have to be tilled, fertilized. You may need to add compost.
3. In other words the soil must be prepared.
B. Spiritual soil, the heart.
1. Every soul we meet is potential fruit for Christ.
2. How we prepare the soil may determine our effectiveness of producing.
3. Mt.5:16 - Our behavior should always leave a positive and lasting impression on the hearts of people we meet. It is at this point we begin preparing the soil for planting.
4. 1Pet.2:12 - Our excellent behavior (good deeds) should cause unbelievers to want to repent
5. Prov 15:1-2 - Even our demeanor with which we speak prepares the soil/heart for planting
6. Remember in every person there is a heart where the seed needs to be planted.
II. AFTER THE SOIL IS PREPARED IT IS TIME TO PLANT
A. The seed MUST be planted if you are to get fruit.
1. Teaching by example is absolutely necessary.
2. However the time must come when we SAY clearly what we believe.
3. Mk.16:15 - And He said to them, "Go into all the world and PREACH the gospel to all creation.
B. Nurturing or promoting growth
1. If results do not come quickly, do not give up.
2. Some may be slow or resistant. Give growth a chance. 2Tim.2:25.
3. Maybe the seed needs a little extra time and care. All soil is not the same. Get help.
4. 1Cor. 3:5-9; Jn.4:36-38 - We are all co-workers for the same purpose.
III. GOD WILL GIVE THE INCREASE
A. We may not understand the mystery of this process, but we know it works.
B. Let God do his part
2. 1Cor.15:10 - The good, hard work we do must be accredited to God.
3. 2Cor.3:5 - Again, it is God who makes us adequate to accomplish anything
1. There is much work to do in producing fruit.
2. We must all do our part
By Stan H Roadman
Return to the Sermon Outline Page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /