ARE WE SOUND?
1. The word "sound" in the Hebrew means, in instances such as are in consideration here, "perfect, whole, complete, plain".
2. In the Greek the word under consideration means "healthy."
3. Webster says the word sound means, "Free from flaw, defect, or decay; undamaged or unimpaired. Founded in truth or right; not fallacious or faulty."
4. With these definitions before us, let us ask ourselves, "Am I sound?"
5. Now, let us look into this subject of our soundness.
I. IN WHAT MUST WE BE SOUND?
A. DOCTRINE: 2 Tim 4:3; Titus 1:9; 2:1.
B. MIND: 1 Pet. 4:7; Phil. 2:5; Rom. 8:6.
C. FAITH: Titus 1:13; 2:2.
D. LOVE: Titus 2:2; 1 Pet. 1:22.
E. PATIENCE: Titus 2:2; Jas. 1:4.
F. SPEECH: Titus 2:;8; Prov. 17:7; Col. 4:6.
G. WISDOM: Prov. 2:7; 3:21; Jas. 1:5; 3:17.
H. WORDS: 1 Tim. 6:3; Matt. 12:36,37; 1 Pet. 4:11.
I. COUNSEL: Prov. 1:5; Psa. 33:11.
J. KNOWLEDGE: Col. 2:2,3; Hos. 4:6; Job 26:3.
K. HEART: Psa. 119:80; Prov. 14:30; Matt. 5:;8.
II. HOW CAN WE BE SOUND?
A. By Teaching Right. 2 Tim. 4:1,2; Titus 2:1; 1 Pet. 4:11; 2 Jno. 9-11.
B. By Being Reproved: Titus 1:13; 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
C. By Believing God's Word: Rom. 10:17; 1 Cor. 2:4,5.
D. By Being A Doer And Not A Hearer Only. Jas. 1:22-25; Matt. 7:24-27.
E. By Loving Truly: 1 Jno. 3:18; Jno. 14:15..
F. By Holding Fast Till Christ Comes Or Until We Die: Rev. 2:10,25,26; Matt. 24:11-13.
G. By Discerning The Body Of Our Lord: 1 Cor. 11:29,30; 2:2.
H. By Making Straight Paths And Following Them. Heb. 12:13; Jer. 6:16.
I. By Helping One Another. Heb. 10:24,25.
J. By Heeding The Prescription Of The Great Physician. Jer. 8:22; Mk. 2:17.
III. WHY SHOULD WE BE SOUND?
A. Because The End Is Coming. 1 Pet. 4:7,8; Heb. 9:27.
B. That We Be Not Ashamed. Psa. 119:80; 2 Tim. 2:15.
C. Lest We Be Condemned. Titus 2:8.
D. To Put Opposition To Shame. Titus 2:8; 1:9-11.
E. To Avoid Bad Results. 1 Tim. 6:3-5.
F. To Glorify God. 1 Pet. 4:7-16.
G. To Have Life And Have It More Abundantly. 1 Pet. 3:10-12; Jno. 10:10.
H. Lest We Perish. 2 Thes. 1:7-9.
1. No, it is not enough just to be sound on the issues of institutionalism that are plagueing the church today.
2. We must be sound on all of the teaching of the New Testament.
A. Such as: First principles, Worship, Worldliness, Discipline, Divorce and Remarriage, etc.
3. Let us remember, that there is a safe course in all these matters that cannot be questioned. Why not take that course in all that you do?
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines Page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /