There is a great deal of misunderstanding concerning homosexuality these days. There are those who say homosexuals were made such by God. They say they are homosexuals by birth and they have no choice in the matter. There are those who say homosexuality is natural, just another lifestyle, and all should accept it as such. The misunderstanding is so great that even churches are preaching acceptance and tolerance, even to the extent that some denominations are ordaining homosexuals to their priest-hoods, pastorates, and ministries.
What is the truth about homosexuality? Where can we find the truth? The truth is not found in the opinions of men. Neither is it found in the philosophies and doctrines of man-made religion. But instead, the truth is found in the Word of God. A more accurate way of saying it is this: the Truth is the Word of God. "Sanctify them in the truth: thy word is truth" (John 17:17).
What does God's Word say about homosexuality? I refer you to Romans 1:26-27. "For this cause God gave them up unto vile passions: for their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working unseemliness, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was due." We can learn several truths from this text about homosexuality.
1. Homosexuality is a vile passion. It is not an honor. It is not something that should be respected. It is an affection or desire that is dishonorable. No one should be proud of committing this sin. Instead, it should cause shame and embarrassment.
2. Homosexuality is not natural. The natural and proper sexual relationship is a man and a woman who have been joined together as husband and wife for the rest of their lives. In the beginning, when God created man, he made a help meet for him. This help was a woman, not another man. Read Genesis 2:18-24. It is unnatural for a man to have sexual relations with another man. It is also unnatural for a woman to have sexual relations with another woman. As our text said, it is "that which is against nature."
3. Homosexuality is a result of lust. Our text said that the men "burned in their lust one toward another." They were not born homosexuals. God did not make them homosexuals. They become homosexuals as a result of their lust. Their actions are a result of their desires. It is a choice that is made by those who give in to these evil desires. James tells us, "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempteth no man: but each man is tempted, when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed" (Jas. 1:13-14).
4. Homosexuality is unseemliness and error and those guilty will receive punishment. Our text said they were "working unseemliness" and they were "receiving in them-selves the recompense of their error which was due." Homosexuality is not the proper way to live and act. It is sin against God. In 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 it is described as unrighteousness. And we are told that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Sodom, Gomorrah and the cities of the plain were destroyed because of this very thing. Those who are guilty suffer greatly because of their sin.
5. Homosexuality can be forgiven. This is the good news. In John 8:32 Jesus said, "and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." The truth can make anyone free from his sin, including the one who is guilty of homosexuality. In 1 Corinthians 6:11, after pointing out some people who are unrighteous, including homosexuals, Paul said, "And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God." It does not matter what sins a person has committed, he can be washed, sanctified, and justified. This refutes another misunderstanding concerning homosexuality. Some say a homosexual cannot change. But in Corinth, there were homosexuals who changed. Paul said, "and such were some of you." They believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. They repented of their sins (changed) and they were baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of the sin.
If you are guilty of homosexuality, I urge you to be washed, be sanctified, be justified, and quit this sinful practice.
By Bruce Craig
Return to the General Articles page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /