In the twentieth chapter of John, we read, "And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (John 20:30-31). Just prior to this statement, Jesus had told Thomas, "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed" (John 20:29). The statement, "they that have not seen, and yet have believed" applies today to everyone on earth. We have not seen the nail prints, nor heard Christ audibly. How then can we believe? John said we can believe because of what has been written (John 20:30-31, 21:24-25).
In the last two chapters of John, it is stated that not everything Christ did was recorded; but what was recorded was for the purpose of producing faith in men. John went on to say that he supposed if everything was written, "the world itself could not contain the books.". Seeing it is God's prerogative to tell us what He wants us to know; to delve into the realm of God's silence is no place for men. The Bible places continued emphasis on our focusing upon what has been written, not on the things not written (Leviticus 10:1-2; Deuteronomy 29:29; Romans 15:4; Hebrews 7:12-14; I Peter 4:11).
While some readily say that they believe Jesus is the Son of God, many are not willing to take the next step. Namely, to believe what He says! There are many people who believe in Christ, but they do not believe Christ. If they did, they would not be doing the things that they are doing. Yet, part of the responsibility inherent in believing in Christ is that we believe the words He spoke.
Christ Has Spoken, And Said:
1) His Father is God (Luke 2:49). Christ is not just a "good prophet," as some people (Muslims, etc.) wish to say. He is the Son of God! (John 9:37)
2) He has a church which belongs to Him (Matthew 16:18; Acts 20:28). It does not belong to man, and ought not wear a man's name!
3) There is only one way to be saved, and this is through Him (Jn. 14:6). We must follow His plan for salvation if we wish to see Heaven (Matthew 16:16).
4) There is a way men ought to treat others (Matthew 7:12). It is not "survival of the fittest," but genuine caring, treating others the right way (John 13:34-35; Galatians 6:2).
5) There will be a day in which we will resurrect to go to our eternal destiny - life or damnation (John 5:28-29).
The choice of where we end up in eternity is made right now. Therefore, let us make the right decision, believing on Christ (John 8:24), obeying His will in order to be saved (Acts 2:38), and living faithfully for Him all the days of our life (I Corinthians 15:58). Do you believe Christ (Romans 10:16)?
By Jarrod Jacobs
Return to the General Articles page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /