WHO WROTE THE BIBLE, THE BOOK OF LIFE?
1. In times past, I have brought several different lessons concerning the Bible as such.
2. Now, again, I want to consider the Bible as to its author.
3. It is said in: Hos. 8:11,12, "Because Ephraim hath made many altars to sin, altars shall be unto him to sin. I have written to him the great things of my law, but they were counted as a strange thing."
4. As Ephraim of old, many people today consider the great things of God's law a strange thing.
5. We are living in a skeptical age. Time was when people would say: "I believe," but now they say: "Is it true?"
A. A bumper sticker said: "The Bible said it, I believe it, that settles it."
B. This sounds good but I think it should be reworded to read: "The Bible said it, that settles it." Whether we believe it or not.
6. In schools and society today young people are being sneered out of their faith.
A. They are being taught to consider the things of the Bible as "a strange thing."
B. If the student believes in God and considers Him the author of the Bible he is laughed to scorn. This is especially true in institutions of higher learning.
7. However, in spite of all this, there is plenty of evidence to the effect That God is the author of the Bible.
I. THE BIBLE SAYS SO:
A. The prophet Isaiah says, "Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the Lord hath spoken." Isa. 1:2.
B. When God speaks, it is time for the earth to be silent. Deut. 27:9,10 Zech. 2:13; Hab. 2:18-20.
1. It is time for man to listen instead of trying to get in our two cents worrth. Eccl. 5:1,2; Isa. 55:3; Jas. 1:19.
C. God has, in times past, spoken to man in various ways, but now speaks to him through the Bible. Heb. 1:1,2.
II. SOME WHO DID NOT WRITE THE BIBLE:
A. It would be foolish to say that EVIL MEN wrote the Bible. Rom. 2: 8,9.
B. Surely INFIDELS did not write it, for if they had they would have left out: 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
C. We can be equally sure that LIARS did not write the Bible, for had they been writing it they would have left out: Rev. 21:8.
D. Neither did DRUNKARDS write the Bible, for they are condemned in such passages as: Prov. 23:29-33; 1 Cor. 6:9,10.
1. Certainly, they would not have written condemnation of themselves.
E. I also know that HYPOCRITES did not write the Bible, for they are severely condemned in : Matt. 23: 13,15,23,25,27,29.
F. The DEVIL is not the author of this great book, for if he were the author he would have left out: Jno. 8:44.
G. Modern day FEMINISTS did not write the Bible: If so, they would have left out such scriptures as: Gen. 3:16; 1 Cor. 11:2,3; 14:34,35 Eph. 5:23,24; 1 Tim. 2:8-15; Titus 2:4,5.
1. Many women, in this day and time, are referring to the God of the Bible as SHE. They want the Bible rewritten to give women top billing in all places of leadership including calling God by a female name or gender. They already call God "Sophia" which is female.
2. They claim that anyone who consistently and continually refers to the God of the Bible in a masculine way, which the Bible does every time God is mentioned, are idolaters that have created them a male god.
3. I think, now, there is a version of the Bible that has been brought out that has this feminist slant and is referred to as the Bible for Women.
H. So, neither EVIL MEN, the DEVIL, nor FEMINISTS wrote the Bible for it condemns such in no uncertain terms.
III. NOMINAL RELIGIOUS PEOPLE DID NOT WRITE THE BIBLE.
A. There is also plenty of evidence that such nominal religious people as we have in the world today could not have written the Bible.
1. The CATHOLICS did not write the Bible, for if they had been writing it, surely something would have been said about their popes, cardinals, purgatory, etc.
a. The fact that these are not mentioned in the Bible is proof that they had nothing to do with its writing, even though they claim that "The Church" (Catholic) produced the Bible.
2. The CALVINISTS if they wrote the Bible would have certainly said something about unconditional election, and would have left out such passages as: Jno. 5:40; Mt. 23:37; 11:28-30.
a. Such verses show that man is responsible for his own coming to the Lord, this the Calvinists deny.
3. The METHODISTS didn't give us the Bible either.
a. For had they been doing the writing, they would have said something about infant baptism and sprinkling for baptism.
b. The Bible is silent on both of these subjects.
c. They would have left out such scriptures as: Rom. 6:3,4.
4. Of course, if our MISSIONARY BAPTIST friends had written the Bible, they would have left out: Acts 2:38 because they do not believe that baptism has anything to do with the remission of sins.
5. Neither could some of my own BRETHREN have written the Bible.
a. For some pay no attention to Heb. 10:24-26.
b. Some would leave out such passages as: 1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 9:6,7 Mt. 5:31,32; 19:3-9, etc.
1. Thus, we conclude that good men could not have written the Bible on their own, Jer. 10:23 and evil men would not have written it.
2. But do not be dismayed, the Bible claims God as its author. 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
3. Many other things could be said with regard to this subject, but this will have to suffice for now.
4. What about you, do you believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God?
5. If so, why not obey it now?
Return to the Sermon Outlines page