Matt. 21:23; 28:18; 7:29.
1. In matters of religion today, as has been since Christ came to earth to save sinners, we must look to Christ for our authority and to His Word as the revealed source of that authority. 2 Tim. 3:16,17; 2 Pet. 1:3; 1 Pet. 4:11.
2. Man has always tried and will continue to try to relegate God's Word to the background and to cover it up with his own creeds and doctrines. Matt. 15:9; 2 Tim. 4:1-4.
I. MAN SAYS, SPEAKING IN THE LANGUAGE OF ASHDOD - Neh. 13:23-25.
A. There are many churches. Not so -- Matt. 16:18; Eph. 4:4; 1:22,23.
B. One is as good as another. Not so -- Matt. 15:13; Acts 20:28; Psa. 127:1.
C. Many ways to be saved. Not so -- Jno. 14:6.
D. Many ways to enter the church. T -- Acts 2:38,41,47; 1 Cor. 12:13.
E. Many modes of baptism. E -- Eph. 4:5; Rom. 6:4.
F. Many ways to worship. S -- Jno. 4:24.
G. No set time for Lord's Supper. T -- Acts 20:7.
H. No definite church organization. A -- Phil. 1:1; Eph. 4:11; 1 Tim. 3.
I. Elders qualifications not binding. M -- 1 Tim. 3; Titus 1; 1 Pet. 5.
J. Church insufficient. E -- Eph. 1:22,23; 3:10; 4:4.
K. Must use human organizations. N -- Eph. 1:22,23; 3:10; 4:4.
L. Church treasury obligated to the world. T -- 1 Tim. 5:16; 1 Cor. 16:1; Acts 11:29,30; 2 Cor. 11:8.
1. When men speak the language of Ashdod, they cover up what the New Testament says.
2. What language are you speaking today, the language of Christ or the language of Ashdod?
3. Remember that Jesus said that ALL authority had been given to Him in heaven and on earth.
4. He then tells his apostles to go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations, teaching them all that He had told them.
5. He also told the apostles that the Holy Spirit would guide them into all the truth.
6. So, ALL AUTHORITY belongs to Christ and He has given us His orders as are found in the NEW TESTAMENT.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outline page