THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.
INTRO; 1. The New Testament abounds with beautiful figures of speech to describe Jesus Christ to us. Such figures as the following:
A. He is the LIGHT that came down from heaven to shine abroad in our hearts. Jno. 8:12; 9:5; 1:7-9.
B. He is the DOOR through which we enter for salvation. Jno. 10:7-9.
C. He is the BREAD of life, the source of our spiritual energy. Jno. 6:31-35, 48-51.
D. He is the great SHEPHERD of the sheep who protects his sheep from danger. Jno. 10:10-17.
E. He is our great HIGH PRIEST who is touched with the feelings of our infirmities. Heb. 4:14-16.
F. He is the KING reigning upon His throne in heaven now, having all authority in heaven and on earth. Mt. 28: 18; 1 Tim. 6:15.
G. He is the LAMB of God that taketh away the sins of the world, showing His meekness, gentleness and pureness. Jno. 1:29; 1 Pet. 1:19.
H. He is the LION of the tribe of Judah, with great sustaining strength. Rev. 5:5.
I. He is the CORNERSTONE that binds together His people. Eph. 2:19-22.
J. He is the FOUNDATION upon which all should build. 1 Cor. 3:10-15.
2. There are many other descriptions that could be ascribed to Christ but these will suffice for now.
3. Perhaps the best known description of Christ is found in our text, Jno.14:6.
4. This statement from the Lord impresses our minds with the following thoughts:
I. CHRIST IS THE WAY, AND WITHOUT HIM THERE CAN BE NO GOING.
A. If we are saved it must be by the way of the cross. "I Must Needs Go Home By The Way Of The Cross, There Is No Other Way Than This".
B. Let us consider some of the characteristics of this way.
1. It is a GOOD way. Jer. 6:16; Isa. 30:21.
2. It is an OPEN way. Mt. 11:28; Rev. 22:17.
a. It is not closed to any regardless of status or color.
b. From the conversion of the Ethiopian eunuch, we find an open opportunity, an open mind, an open Bible, an open confession, an open body of water, an open obedience and an open rejoicing. Acts 8:27-39.
3. It is a SIMPLE way. Psa. 119:130; 2 Cor. 11:3.
4. It is a HOLY way. Isa. 35:8.
a. Man's conversion is his condition for entering this way.
b. God's word can bring about this conversion. Rom. 1:16; 10:17.
5. It is a NARROW OR STRAIT way. Mt. 7:13,14.
6. It is a way of RIGHTEOUSNESS. Psa. 1:6.
7. It is a BLAMELESS OR PERFECT way. Psa. 18:30.
8. It is the way of PEACE. Lk. 1:79.
9. It is a more EXCELLENT way. 1 Cor. 12:31.
10. It is a NEW and LIVING way. Heb. 10:20.
11. It is the way of TRUTH. 2 Pet. 2:2.
12. It is the RIGHT way. 2 Pet. 2:15.
II. CHRIST IS THE TRUTH, AND WITHOUT HIM THERE CAN BE NO KNOWING.
A. Men and women cannot be saved by their own knowledge.
B. The Greeks of Paul's day prided themselves with their human knowledge, but Paul declared that they were ignorant. Acts 17:16-23.
1. Ignorant of what? Of the real truth. They did not know the true God nor His Son.
2. Many today devise their own plan of salvation. They say, "Save me Lord, but on my own terms."
C. Christ is the very essence of truth. Jno. 1:14.
1. His word is truth. Jno. 17:17; Lk. 4:25.
a. It will make us free from sin. Jno. 8:32.
2. His word is final. Mt. 28; Jd. 3; Psa. 119:160, 89; Isa. 40:8.
3. To accept any other standard of authority is to "believe a lie" 2 Thes. 2:10,11.
III. CHRIST IS THE LIFE, AND WITHOUT HIM THERE CAN BE NO LIVING.
A. No one can begin to live until he allows Christ to live in him.
1. Jesus Christ is the SOURCE of all life. Jno. 10:10; 6:57; Psa. 36:9; Prov. 8:32-36; Jno. 11:25; 20:30,31; Col. 3:4.
a. Paul said, "Ye are complete in him." Col. 2:10.
b. And again he said, "Thought he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor that ye through His poverty might be rich." 2 Cor. 8:9.
c. The abundant, rich life is in Christ. Eph. 1:3. Through His word. Phil. 2:16.
2 Christ is the perpetual STRENGTH of life.
a. We must continue to abide in the vine to keep on bearing fruit. Jno. 15:1-8.
b. The strength of Paul's life is beautifully described in Gal. 2:20;Phil. 4:13.
3. Christianity is simply the REPRODUCTION of the life of Christ in the lives of men. 1 Jno. 5:12; 2 Jno. 9
a. He gave us an example that we should follow in His steps. 1 Pet. 2:21.
1. Man's free moral agency is implied in this great text. Jno. 14:6.
A. Christ is the WAY, hence man may GO.
B. Christ is the TRUTH, hence man may KNOW.
C. Christ is the LIFE, hence many may LIVE.
2. Won't you take the TRUTH, enter the WAY and LIVE?
Return to the Sermon Outlines page